Diving in East TN or Western NC, VA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Greetings.

I wanted to see if anyone had any ideas where there are some good (at least decent) dive sites in TN, SW VA, or W NC. I live in East Tennessee and the only place to dive that is somewhat close to me is an area lake with vis that is 10' of good days, 6" on days that aren't so good.

You assistance is greatly appreciated.

MGM

We dive most of time in Lake Jocassee. It's located in upstate SC about an 1 1/2 hours from Asheville, Hendersonville, NC. The vis is usually around 15-20' on good days and less than 10' on bad days. It offers both shore and boat diving areas with a wide range of depths depending on what you want to do, with a couple dive platforms and a sunken 'Chinese Junk', and various other things to see. Lake Keowee is also divable but the vis is considerably less even on a good day.

I believe the next nearest place to dive is a quarry in the Charlotte area.

Hey, I'm from the Western NC area. Yeah, as far as I know Jocassee is the main spot. I know of a dive shop that does dives at Lake James (McDowell Co., NC), but that's about all I know about that lake. Here's their webpage: Link. I'd love to hear of some more local spots or maybe meet some buddies around here. :)

Thank you for all the responses. I look forward to checking out the links provided.

dive-ssi-w-me
Matthew Mahaley

Lake Jocassee is a nice dive... if you happen to bring a boat, check out the waterfall at one of the far end coves of the lake. (Get a map, and ask a local)... It's one of the taller falls in the area, I hear..

Plus, it makes a decent surface interval.

Back
Top Bottom