Diving in Jamaica?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I went on a W. Caribbean cruise over Thanksgiving. One of our stops was Jamaica. Since I hefted my scuba gear, I went diving despite all the negative reviews I read. I did two boat dives off Runaway Bay thru Scuba Jamaica. They picked me up at the cruise dock and the second dive was just the DM and me. I thought the diving was great. There was a lot of life and color. I saw a sunken plane at 80 FSW. An expatriot who has been living in Jamaica for 13 years says what can be seen in the Caymans can be seen in Jamaica. I can't verify this since I've only done one dive at GC and the two in Jamaica, but my dives in Jamaica were better than the one I did at GC. Go diving in Jamaica if you get a chance!

IMHO the diving in Jamaica and the diving in GC are not in the same league. . not even in the same stadium. . . not even the same sport. It is misleading to state otherwise. If other's agreed with you then Jamaica would be a dedicated dive destination like GC or Cozumel. It is not for good reason. The diving isn't as good.

Tim Ingersoll:
IMHO the diving in Jamaica and the diving in GC are not in the same league. . not even in the same stadium. . . not even the same sport. It is misleading to state otherwise. If other's agreed with you then Jamaica would be a dedicated dive destination like GC or Cozumel. It is not for good reason. The diving isn't as good.

Well, I was quoting someone who had lots of experience in the Caribbean. (Although I see you, Tim, have dived in many spots yourself. Lucky you!) Perhaps people haven't given Jamaica a chance to become a dedicated dive destination. It takes time and word of mouth for any location to become one.

Anyway, my point was that I thought the diving I did in Jamaica was great, and I'd hope that if someone has the chance to go diving there that they'd do it.

I have to agree with Tim here- I did some intro to Scuba dives in Jamaica about 15 years ago- in those days, before all the mega resorts had had too much of a chance to bite in, the diving was OK- and of course it was first experience, so that coloured the experience.
However, now the diving is not up to other carrib destinations-As you state, it is OK if you happen to be there, and good to do the odd dive as part of general vacation, but it is not a stand alone dive destination- the marine life is too denuded and there are not enough sites/variety. There have been a number of attempts in recent years to improve the marine conditions in Jamaica, but they have yet to have much success. Jamaica does not focus on its diving, and it shows. BUT, if someone is looking for a couple of dives in with a casual, fun and sunny vacation, then Jamaica fits the bill.

munkispank:
I have to agree with Tim here- I did some intro to Scuba dives in Jamaica about 15 years ago- in those days, before all the mega resorts had had too much of a chance to bite in, the diving was OK- and of course it was first experience, so that coloured the experience.
However, now the diving is not up to other carrib destinations-As you state, it is OK if you happen to be there, and good to do the odd dive as part of general vacation, but it is not a stand alone dive destination- the marine life is too denuded and there are not enough sites/variety. There have been a number of attempts in recent years to improve the marine conditions in Jamaica, but they have yet to have much success. Jamaica does not focus on its diving, and it shows. BUT, if someone is looking for a couple of dives in with a casual, fun and sunny vacation, then Jamaica fits the bill.

Well said..

Well, I'm sure even in Jamaica there are some sweet places still. Even in crappy Eleuthera I found one or two spots that were pretty decent.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom