Diving in Jamaica?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The resort itself was great - Sans Souci Lido. No complaints except I don't like travelling to places where I feel that I need to stay on the "compound" to remain safe. The drug thing didn't really bother me (I went to college) but it was everywhere all the time. Gets old after a while. The kicker was the diving was mediocre at best and downright crappy at worst.

When I was in Jamaica in May there were no security issues, however, we were also outside of Ocho Rios, nowhere near the big cities or even downtown Ocho Rios.

As for diving, well, you'll get wet. DM I was with swam through the coral if that gives you any idea of how they care for their reefs.

Be careful of the folks pushing the weed. It is highly illegal there and all the locals push it. So, who do you think is the one that gets busted with it?

i disagree with what most posters have said here. i stayed at the sandals ocho rios and had a great time. the diving was pretty good (ok, it's no cozumel, but then, what is??) considering it was FREE (2 dives/day) the food was great, staff friendly and attentive, grounds imaculately grromed, and an overall hassle-free vacation made this a good choice for us.

i have pics if you'd like to judge for yourself. http://www.sjusa.net/nGallery/

Nice pics! I simply would not put Jamaica on a list of places to visit if the quality of the diving is to be a consideration.

My wife and I stopped in Ocho Rios in May while on a cruise. We experienced the Dunn's River hike and the Dolphin Swim there. Also got a great deal on some Cuban Cigars. The diving trip planned for Ocho Rios through the cruise was cancelled due to lack of interest. We all went on the Cayman dive which was another stop on the cruise. We both enjoyed the Dolphin Swim very much and Dunn's River was beautiful, but when we got to the top, as my wife had just twisted her ankle, a tourist gave one of the tour guides $20 as a tip for his family members which was like 10 people. The guide was then demanding $20 off every couple/family. For one I don't carry cash in places like that, but then the guy got in my face as I helped my hurt wife up the steps. At that point I got fully erect from leaning way down to help my 5 foot tall wife up and the guy realized he was about a foot shorter and about half my weight. I was ready to lay the guy out when one of the crew members, who was there taking pictures, from my ship stepped in and got the guy out of our faces. Needless to say someone high up on our ship heard about it because we had more complimentary stuff sent to our room than I could imagine (champagne, petifores(sp?), chocolate covered strawberries, free beer, free wine at dinner, etc.).

That was my experience but to follow up on Elease's comment about Sandles, we made friends with a French couple on the Dunn's River hike and they were on their honeymoon at Sandles. They absolutely loved it and it would be the ONLY way I would step foot back in Ocho Rios.

Sandals is a great place stay no matter where you are. They work extra hard to make you happy. Then again, you pay for it too.

babs226:
I'd looking for some feedback on diving in Jamaica. I'm looking for a cheap vacation and saw some really cheap packges to Jamaica, but know nothing about the diving there. Thanks.

I just wen't to Jamaica in October. stayed a Couples Negril the people were great. The diving in Bloody Bay was ok the deep dives were much better not as many divers on the reefs. Got my advanced cert. Did a lot of dives with just myself and the instructor. the wreck's are fun and there are some small caves i got to stick my head in.

After returning from a recent Blackbeards trip to the Bahamas near Bimini I can now give a comparison to Jamaica. The fish size around Jamaica is smaller and much fewer large Angels. Fish count in JM is good but the fish are smaller. However, the corals and sponges around Jamaica are more colorful and larger. In Jamaica I have seen many turtles and good sized rays which I saw very few of around Bimini. Many more lobster around Bimini. Overall, Jamaica is still good diving (warm & clear!) and I love diving there but would not schedule Jamaica if diving is the ONLY purpose of the trip.

Ochy town blows unless you get out in the countryside to mingle with the non-urban people. When you leave the city, the people are great, friendly and open. In Negril, we stayed at the Riu Tropical Bay. I dived 4 days( not a lot to see, but better than the 10ft, 50 dg water in nor-cal) and we had a ball above water, lots to see, great locals, wonderful food. Just keep an open mind, and if you don't want the Gange(as I am a sufferer of Random Drug Testing) just say no, the people were cool even when I said no( and in 1 case bought me a red stripe instead).

Back
Top Bottom