Diving in Jupiter, Who's hot & who's not?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Brian, I heard about your friend tonight when I had dinner with friends. I'm so sorry to hear about the accident. My friends went out in search of her after hearing about Eve's missing, but no luck. It was a very somber trip back to the dock for all involved. I hope, by some miracle, that she still shows up alive somewhere. We'll keep our eyes open all weekend. You never know!

Update; Firstly to Brian, thoughts are with you and the family of your friend.
I am now booked up with Kissimmee Dive Centre to go down to Jupiter. They're gonna choose the dives so I'm now in their hands. I'm doing drift reef dives.
Thanks for you're help

Im coming to Florida in October and have been told to go to Jupiter to get some decent diving in. I was going to used Florida Dive Centre but have heard some real horror stories about them.

Can someone shed some light on whether there is an alternative or have they cleaned up their acts???

Why do people blame dive boats for diver deaths? A boat captain cannot control a diver after they have left the boat. I seriously doubt the dive boat, or dive center was at fault. Think about that for just one minute. Your safety is your responsibility.

Charleston SC Scuba Club

Last edited:
Why do people blame dive boats for diver deaths? A boat captain cannot control a diver after they have left the boat. I seriously doubt the dive boat, or dive center was at fault. Think about that for just one minute. Your safety is your responsibility.

I fully agree. Outside of complete negligence, the dive boat is simply my "taxi to the reef".

I agree that dive boats should not be blamed for diver deaths unless there was gross negligence. With that being said, some dive charters are more attuned to the divers they bring out to the sites than others. While accidents can and will happen with any charter, some minor issues can be better taken care of on ops geared toward all types of divers than others. The original OP has less than 50 dives, so it would appear they would want to be on a charter that is attentive and aware of all the divers on their boat. Many experienced divers enjoy the type of dives that some charters do because they cater to the advanced, adventerous, and self-reliant diver. That's great. But even they will admit they don't want anyone who can't handle their own emergency should one arise on their boat. People with under 50 dives do not need to be on a boat such as this, nor would the charter want them to be.

Jupiter Dive Center is now run more cautiously than it was under previous ownership. I believe that is what the OP is looking for. Nothing against the previous owner, he's got a good following that enjoys the types of dives he does, but, again, is not for the original OP. I think he will be happy to be on one of Gerry's boats, and I'm also sure the previous owner will be happy not to have him on his due to his inexperience. I don't believe any malice was intended by anyone posting on this thread.

Hmmm...your comment about Orlando and diving West Palm area has me thinking that you are doing exactly what I am doing! Let me hazard a guess... You are attending NBAA and you are sneaking in a dive trip on top of it?

Thats me anyways. Staying in orlando and diving Sunday all day with the Narcossis Dive Charter out of Riviera Beach. Doing two drift dive in Morning and two in afternoon. Also getting Nitrox cert at same time so will be diving Nitrox36.

If you are doing the same thing, give some consideration to swtiching to Narcossis. The nitrox cert is very reasonably priced in this case...

Anyhow, was curious if you were doing NBAA also...

You guys have got me thinking about a Feb dive trip and where I want to go. Last year I went to Key Largo. I have a friend in Jupiter and was thinking about visiting him. The entire area sounds interesting - from Jupiter down to Boynton Beach. I might arrange for an entire week so could do some significant sampling.:D What is is like in Late Feb early March? When you go, post some reviews of dives and operators! I want to learn more.

Bob

You guys have got me thinking about a Feb dive trip and where I want to go. Last year I went to Key Largo. I have a friend in Jupiter and was thinking about visiting him. The entire area sounds interesting - from Jupiter down to Boynton Beach. I might arrange for an entire week so could do some significant sampling.:D What is is like in Late Feb early March? When you go, post some reviews of dives and operators! I want to learn more.

Bob
You don't need to "wait" until someone posts - the search function is your friend - just search "Jupiter" "Boynton" - or any topic for that matter and you will get a ton of reading

Your post mentions late Feb/early March - while you can have great conditions anytime, that time is winter - you can encounter rough seas, cold fronts, etc - water temps will average in the low 70's - fairly consistantly from the upper Keys to Jupiter.

Charleston SC Scuba Club

Lee If that comment was aimed at me then its seriously misplaced. I am not blaming anyone for anything. I have purely asked questions from things Ive heard. As a diver going to a new dive site with a new dive centre its in my interest to go with a dive centre who people have good experiences with. I think they call that responsible diving.
I agree that most dive accidents are down to the individual but does it really hurt to check and ask fellow divers their opinions.

Lee, I am looking forward to diving with you and Joy at Jupiter Dive Center on Sunday afternoon. I personally am diving both Sat. and Sun. AM and PM to de-stress from my regular job. I have to work on Monday, so will have to look forward to your posts to see (and live vicariously) how the day went for you .

sunapeebob, in late Feb, early March, you're looking at high 70's low 80's in temp, and viz between 30'-60' depending on how the weather cooperates. In any case, there will be pelagics and a huge variety of marine life to observe in the Jupiter area. If you're friend is not available when you're planning on coming down, let me know and I'll be glad to hook up with you to dive this diverse area.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom