Diving in Kansas?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

broncobowsher:
Not my property, can’t do it. He uses it as a get away from everyone else. I know he doesn’t want people back there. I only know of it because he is my parent’s neighbor for 30+ years. He knows that if wants to get rid of it to contact me.

Maybe one of these days it will be yours and the place to dive in Kansas!

I'd love to own a dive quarry!

I almost forgot about a potential place...

US 69 heading south out of KC. I think it is just south of Pleasenton on the east side of the road there is a small lake. Looks like it may have been a quarry from when they built 69. Old trailer next to the lake. I passed this place countless times on my runs between KC and Pittsburg back when I was in school 10 years ago. Anyone know of the place?

I was hunting last weekend and on the way out saw this quarry from the highway:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=...151&spn=0.040691,0.102396&t=h&om=1&iwloc=addr

I was going to try and figure out who owned it and if it is diveable. From the road it looks llike it was really clear. Seemed to be a rock quarry, sticking out of the water was tall sandstone bluffs, I would imagine it was like that all the way to the bottom.

Joey

Update to my last post.

I just talked to the owner of the rock quarry, he said he has let divers dive there in the past, they have had several people stop and ask. You must sign a release waiver first though. I imagine it that viz is 5 - 10 ft, have no clue on depth, but the rock walls coming out it our huge. Let me know if anybody is interested.

Joey

yea, things probably frozen right now. sometime towards the summer though i'd be interested.

Always love a project - count me in! Course I don't get out of the desert for awhile....

Nice to know I have so many Scubaboard neighbors. I'm from Hutch.

Lessee if I can comment on the list:

1. El Dorado Lake - The kind of diving you'd have to pay me for 'cause I wouldn't do it on my own. 6" vis at best. Listen for motor noise before ascending, as the lake draws heavy crowds who like to party and boat at high speed. Lots of submerged trees in it. Nice sailboat club though - have a friend who learned to sail there.
2. Timber Creek Lake: Where?
3. Wellington Lake: Great fishing! But you have to pay to put your boat on it.
4. Elk City Lake: Clearer than some, still not a diving destination.
5. Lake Parsons: Never been in/on it.
6. Toronto Lake: Good fishing, long shallow dam but not very deep. If you waterski on it, please don't look down or you'll see visions of Bactine and bandages flashing like your life before your eyes. They'll have to pry the rope out of your hands.
7. Marion Reservoir: One of the best in the state, big COE dam and rec area, plenty deep enough - just not my first choice. I'd pick Wilson over Marion any day.

Are they all just mud holes??? Essentially yes. But you gotta learn to love the mud holes here. The alternative involves flying or a road trip. I like Beaver Lake.

Safe dives!

Back
Top Bottom