Diving in Kansas?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Anna-

What part of "our land of dirt" are you looking at? I live on the east side so the Missouri lakes are close plus a few private quarries. Table Rock Lake, Norfolk, Beaver Lake (Arkansas) & Oronogo (near Joplin) to name a few.

Lake Wilson - that is a long ways out there for some of us.

Melvern - know I know where to take my son-in-law when he get to obnoxious

Let us know how your plans turn out.

dbl post - sorry

dbl post - sorry

Prosthetic teeth, hmmmm, lol, at least you wouldn't have to gum your mouthpiece. N

What part of kansas are you looking at moving to?

And whoever was talking about Clinton lake outside of lawrence... I couldn't imagine diving that. It's got some beutifull parks all around it, nice camping, ok for a small ski boat or even small sailboats... good for jetski's... but scuba? Wouldn't even consider it.

I've been diving in farm ponds, 30' deep with 3' of vis... not very good.

Missouri's diving isn't much better. Missouri is covered in lakes, but most of them arn't divable. Truman lake and Lake of the Ozarks take up the middle part of the state, but once while swimming off of a boat in Truman lake, the boat driver told us "if you dissapear below the water, they'll never find your body"... which describes it perfectly. Full of tree's and you can't look down and see your feet when just sitting in it floating becuase it's so murky. Missouri has a few decent rock qauries and a flooded mine for rec diving... but not much more. I live in northern missouri, it's a good 3-4 hour drive to Joplin where the closest flooded lead/zinc/something qaurie is.

Also, any diving you do here, is nothing more than practice. Even when there is decent vis, there's nothing really exciting to see.

"Great place to raise your family, but a terrible place to visit."

I did have to dive in Clinton one time to recover a jon boat and motor that a friend sunk there, but I was talking about the water ski lake on the east side of Lawrence.

Bill51:
I did have to dive in Clinton one time to recover a jon boat and motor that a friend sunk there, but I was talking about the water ski lake on the east side of Lawrence.

I can't think of any lakes on the east side of Lawrence... Lake Perry is on the north side, and there's a lake in Olathe somewhere.

Which one are you talking about?

plot:
I can't think of any lakes on the east side of Lawrence... Lake Perry is on the north side, and there's a lake in Olathe somewhere.

Which one are you talking about?
Water ski lake is the little rectangular private lake on the south side of K-10, east of the fertilizer plant, and during the summer you’ll se a couple waterski jumps floating on it. It’s not a big lake unless you’re spending a few hours crawling around on the bottom of it looking for broken ropes.

http://www.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=e...313&spn=0.038325,0.152779&t=h&om=1&iwloc=addr

Bill51:
Water ski lake is the little rectangular private lake on the south side of K-10, east of the fertilizer plant, and during the summer you’ll se a couple waterski jumps floating on it. It’s not a big lake unless you’re spending a few hours crawling around on the bottom of it looking for broken ropes.

http://www.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=e...313&spn=0.038325,0.152779&t=h&om=1&iwloc=addr

Oh... that thing... I would consider that more of a pond... or a flooded ditch. :wink:

What kind of vis do you get there? Looks like it'd be about the same as a pond farm to me. I guess it's an excuse to get in the water though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom