Diving in Karangasem / Candidasa Sept 2022

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
AnaCat

AnaCat

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello, we are a group with mixed certifications (OWD to Rescue) and we will make a tour in Indonesia ( Jakarta, Borobudur, 3 nights in Karangasem/ Candidasa, The temples in Ubud then 5 nights in Komodo on Seraya Island).
For the days in Karangasem what dive sites and dive shops would you recommend? We want to do a day trip to Nusa Penida and the manta point, but for the other 2 days I have no idea where to go.
WE are recreational divers (50 to 150 dives) and we would like to see coral, and maybe some bigger creatures (not so much into little critters).
Any recommendations? Thanks!

Karangasem doesn't mean much, it's a whole region in Bali : I suppose you're located in Candi Dasa.
On 3 days I will advise diving Nusa Penida, Gili Tepekong/Gili Mimpang where in season you might be able to spot Mola mola (sun fish) and may be a trip to the Liberty wreck in Tulamben or another day diving around Nusa Penida (apart from Manta Point and Crystal bay, there are many coral spots like Toyapakeh, SD, PED or Mangroves).
The dive operators around Candi dasa are mostly located in Padang Bai, 20 minutes drive from Candi Dasa. I suggest you contact one of them ( on a personal level I like very much Geko divers, fast and comfortable boats going to Nusa Penida, cool atmosphere).

Thanks for the info. Yes, we would go to Padang Bay.
What other dive centers would you recommend? Gecko might not go to Nusa Peni in the day we want to book…

I have used Benthos Bali Dive Resort the last couple of times I stayed in Candidasa, did the day trip over to Manta Point and Crystal Bay with them too. Like Luke recommend both the Gili dives

Hello, we are a group with mixed certifications (OWD to Rescue) and we will make a tour in Indonesia ( Jakarta, Borobudur, 3 nights in Karangasem/ Candidasa, The temples in Ubud then 5 nights in Komodo on Seraya Island).
For the days in Karangasem what dive sites and dive shops would you recommend? We want to do a day trip to Nusa Penida and the manta point, but for the other 2 days I have no idea where to go.
WE are recreational divers (50 to 150 dives) and we would like to see coral, and maybe some bigger creatures (not so much into little critters).
Any recommendations? Thanks!
Happy to help set up diving for you that side, I have a dive centre / resort in Amed but easy enough to transport to the various sites.

DM or email at brendon@desertreefdive.com , happy to assist with advice as well, even if you don't end up using us.

Now I have more information:
Hi, we are a mixed group of 9 friends and I’m trying to find a full day tour that would please everyone (🤦🏻‍♀️🤦🏻‍♀️🤦🏻‍♀️)
We will be staying at Village of Angers hotel (Sengkidu, Karangasem Regency, Bali).
We will be there 31 August and 1 Sept, but if diving only 31 works as on 2 we fly.
We are 3 divers ( 1 Rescue, 1 AOWD, 1OW), and the rest would just snorkel.
Is there any tour that can take us to Manta Point for snorkeling, crystal bay / similar for 1 dive, a short trek on Nusa, some boat stops to best places on the island? This would mean a little for everybody and hope it would check all the boxes…
Can you please recommend a good tour agency?
I got a quote from Geko but they only do diving with min 4 divers per destination and at very steep prices :(
Thanks and warm regards,
Ana

There are quite a few private yacht companies that could surely pull this off, but if Geko is too steep, no way will they work.

I wish I had ideas, but if you do figure that out please share as it sounds like an amazing day.

We often get requests to allow divers and snorkelers to land to do some visits at Nusa Penida. This is unfortunately not feasible as most shore areas do not allow mooring or docking. Buyuk & Sampalan are the only areas where boats can dock and are very far from the spots of interest and require land transportation. Some operators from Sanur organise day visits to the popular spots, but, to the best of my knowledge, none combine this with snorkeling.
As for the rates, the fuel bill alone is 200USD to 250USD for a safe speedboat with 2 4-stroke engines. A shared trip to Manta Point costs 105USD with your own equipment and a minimum of 4 divers. Everyone can do the maths...
We still offer private charters to Nusa Penida's Manta Point for less than 650USD. You can't even get a boat rental with no skipper, fuel, dive tanks, nor guides for that money in most of the Western world...

Thanks Geko, we had a fantastic time with you at Nusa Penida! I found your prices to be fair and the DM was great!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom