Diving in Kentucky

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

doczerothree

Registered
Reaction score
|Hey All

|Looks like I'm moving from florida to Kentucky:shakehead:. Surfing the net hasn't proved to be a good way to find out much about the area around |No. kentucky. About the only place i've been able to find is Lake Cumberland.

So I figured I'd ask you locals where you do most of you diving. Any imformation would be great. :D I'd like to check them out while I'm up here. Also local dive shop. Whats your Favorites and what do they have going on.

Thanks

Greetings and welcome to the KPP! Actually we do have a few places to dive around here. Cold and low vis, sorry, mostly quarries and lakes. Where abouts in Kentucky are you moving to? You found the right place to connect with active divers in the area.

Boy are you in for a new style of diving! :D

When we made up the Midwest Muck Divers shirts we put..7mm suit and 2' viz, now that is diving.
It's not THAT bad but a far cry from FL.

Yes, it's definitely different. The others are correct. To get 20ft of vis is cause for celebration! Right now the temperatures of most of the quarries (the deeper ones any way) are running 85 degrees at the surface to about 25ft. From there it drops into the lower 70's - upper 60's. Below 40- 50ft, it is about 39- 45 degrees year round. Don't knock it before you try it a few times. I never thought I'd be able to dive cold water & now I actually look forward to it. Generally the "normal" diving seasons run from late May- late Sept.- early Oct. unless you're into really cold water diving &/ or have a drysuit.

And to think that last week I dove in Canada. At 143' it was 73 degrees. Yes that is Fahrenheit.

Looks like I'm moving from florida to Kentucky:shakehead:.

I'm sorry.:(

Welcome to the KPP anyway! Maybe if you've done some cave diving in Florida you've already got a drysuit. :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom