Diving in Koh Tao - advice needed please.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Loucas

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
Hey guys, I'm currently in Koh Tao and debating if I should do my PADI here, or like I originally planned and wait till I get to Koh Lak so I can go to the Similans. What are the pro's and con's of each?

Also, I wanted to do a bit of snorkeling whilst I am here. I am staying on chalok baan kao bay and was wondering if I am able to snorkel from here to shark bay. It doesn't look like that far on the map, but then again you never know so thought I would double check.

One last thing. I have a month to travel the islands but not 100% which ones to visit. Obviously koh Tao, koh phangan, Samui, Phuket and phi phi have to be done, even tho I will probably be sick of tourists by them, I'll only stay a day or 2 on each. Also considering Lipe, Krabi, lanta. Any places I shouldn't miss while I'm here?

Cheers for any advice

While you're there, do your open water course there. Contact e.g. master divers, they'll be able to help you with this. The course there will be cheaper than in Khao Lak, and the sooner you do the course the more you'll be able to enjoy the underwater world.

You can also dive the Similans if you have done the course on Koh Tao, so yes, do it there with a divecenter you feel comfortable with. You're there already, so check them out in person.

I would do it there at Koh Tao and spend the time at Khao Lak fun diving rather than cooped up in a classroom doing a course!

Ditto, complete the open water course on Koh Tao, so once you get to Khao Lak you can fully enjoy the dives there without having to do classroom stuff and confined water time. One thing to consider may be to take your Advanced open water course in Khao Lak instead, after the OW course on Koh Tao.

Last edited:
Yes you can swim (snorkel) to shark Bay but its a long swim, much easier to walk over the hill. If you decide to do your open water on Koh Tao check out Big Bubble in Chalok Baan Kow.

Loucas, I'd recommend spending more time on each of fewer islands. Think about it this way to put things in a different perspective that may make sense to you
One last thing. I have a month to travel [-]the islands[/-] major cities but not 100% which ones to visit. Obviously [-]koh Tao[/-] London, [-]koh phangan[/-] Rome, [-]Samui[/-] Athens, [-]Phuket[/-] Paris and [-]phi phi[/-] Amsterdam have to be done, even tho I will probably be sick of tourists by them, I'll only stay a day or 2 on each. Also considering [-]Lipe[/-] Barcelona, [-]Krabi[/-] Prague, [-]lanta[/-] Vienna. Any places I shouldn't miss while I'm here?
Cheers for any advice
You will enjoy your island stays more if you don't organise it so that it's 'If it's Tuesday, I must be on Samui.'

I live and work on Koh Tao and I agree with the others, do your OPEN WATER course here and go fun diving to the Similans.
PADI is just an agency. Do you ask for a McDonald's or for a burger?:eyebrow:
Usually here on the island SSI courses are slightly cheaper and equally good. If you go for the PADI course ask for the digital manual rather then the paper one, far too many backpackers leave that bulky thing behind...
Since prices around the Similans are much higher than here, and over there you'll be able to dive some pretty amazing deep sites along with wrecks, I'd recommend you to do the Advanced course in Koh Tao as well.
Snorkeling from Chalook is doable if you are an extremely good ocean swimmer with a good stamina, but I'd rather walk up the hill and descend towards Shark Bay from OKBungalows2. You won't end up on the beach itself, but you'll be in the best spot for the massive green turtle that lives there, and often the shark loiter in that section of the bay after 3pm.
Somebody mentioned Master Divers, definitely an excellent choice but now they're closed for monsoon season as well as many other small/good schools (mine included).
If you have a bike I'd check Roctopus Divers in Sairee, but Big Bubble in Chalook is good as weel.
Make sure you go diving at Chumphon Pinnacle and Sail Rock if you can :wink:

Uh...and...honestly, I see no reason why Samui and Pukhet "have to be done". Huge tourist traps, dirty and not interesting at all. There's nothing there that you won't find on the other islands, diving is not good and beaches are nicer everywhere else. Just skip them, you won't regret it, and you'll have more time for the rest.

Last edited:
I did a course in Koh Tao. The instructors at "New Way" are awsome!!! I had a great time diving with them!!

They are on the road near Sairee beach!! across from Kenya - best food ever!!!

I really enjoyes my dives their... The water was 30 degree and visability was awesome!! Did a wreck dive also.

Back
Top Bottom