Diving in Lalati, Fiji

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

<<but we have seen so many attacks by tiger sharks>> ah...where?

Once you do one of these shark dives, anywhere, you find out how little sharks want to do with humans.

Hi thank you all for your feedback. I will defenitley give them your regards. I am going to try so hard to convinve my husband of doing the shark dive. I promise.

lalati is great.. dogg is awesome and his owners (the dive masters) are terrific people.

even the house reef is a decent dive.

Say hi to Maki, he is one of those people you only meet once in a lifetime. Mary is also a jewel to be around.

---------- Post added May 20th, 2012 at 10:45 AM ----------

Hi Shasta trust me I want to convince my hubby so badly of doing it. We are from Miami, and trust me Florida has a lot of shark attacks, specially bull sharks and tigers. I hope I can convince him :). I am sure it is a once in a lifetime experience.

By the way how is the visibility at the Lalati's lagoon. I noticed in some pictures, it loks blue and others it looks murky depending on the tides...

The viz was okay for shore diving. Not great but not too horrible either. It was better out on the boat dives for sure!
Hi thank you all for your feedback. I will defenitley give them your regards. I am going to try so hard to convinve my husband of doing the shark dive. I promise.

---------- Post added May 20th, 2012 at 10:45 AM ----------

Hi Shasta trust me I want to convince my hubby so badly of doing it. We are from Miami, and trust me Florida has a lot of shark attacks, specially bull sharks and tigers. I hope I can convince him :). I am sure it is a once in a lifetime experience.

By the way how is the visibility at the Lalati's lagoon. I noticed in some pictures, it loks blue and others it looks murky depending on the tides...

Not sure of water temps in July??? It was a little bit nippy when we were there. I still think I only wore a 3mm with my 3/5 hood? I would email them and ask what to expect in July! It is getting close ! You must be excited.
P.s.-I just rememberd this. When we were in Fiji( Wananavu ) in August it was very cold there? I wore a 5mm with a 3/5 hood since it got down to the low 70's! This is on the Northern part of the Island.
Hope this helps!
Thank you guys!
Good news that house reef is decent, I often like to take the day's last dive on house reef!
I will remember to say hi to Maki and Mary for you, njcfm.
Last question: any suggestion about the wet suit in july? Consider that usually I use a 3mm only with water temp above 27 c°.. just wondering if it was better to take the 5mm from home, or a 3mm, or nothing and rent it at the dive shop..
Thanks!

I was just in Taveuni and Beqa with temperatures ranging from 25-27c. Started to get cold in a 3mm towards the end of those 25c dives and I'm usually a heat source. Considering the temperature is only suppose to get colder from now to July you might want to think about a 5mm.

Just noticed that I spelled remembered wrong. I hate when that happens and you can't edit your post anymore!
Not sure of water temps in July??? It was a little bit nippy when we were there. I still think I only wore a 3mm with my 3/5 hood? I would email them and ask what to expect in July! It is getting close ! You must be excited.
P.s.-I just rememberd this. When we were in Fiji( Wananavu ) in August it was very cold there? I wore a 5mm with a 3/5 hood since it got down to the low 70's! This is on the Northern part of the Island.
Hope this helps!

Bula!
Lalati is a great spot. The dive staff are currently in transition but the resort managers have filled the posts as of this week with a couple who I believe are very good. The local staff have not changed.
The shark dive is very safe. Aquatrek are highly professional and you will not feel at all threatened by the sharks, including Tigers if they show up. The caged shark dives the TV like to show are nothing to do with what we offer in Fiji. This is a great way to see up to 12 species of shark, up close in safety.

Wet suits? Have a look at our Fiji temperature info which should help you

Have a great trip.
Greg

Hi Greg,

Thank you for your feedback. I'm having a countdown already. Considering we are flying all the way from Miami I will make sure I convince my hubby. I've heard great things about Lalati, ans specially the local staff. Thank you.

Sent from my SGH-T769 using Tapatalk 2

Many thanks guys, a lot of info!

Not sure of water temps in July??? It was a little bit nippy when we were there. I still think I only wore a 3mm with my 3/5 hood? I would email them and ask what to expect in July! It is getting close ! You must be excited. P.s.-I just rememberd this. When we were in Fiji( Wananavu ) in August it was very cold there? I wore a 5mm with a 3/5 hood since it got down to the low 70's! This is on the Northern part of the Island.
Hope this helps!

Jake, time is running so we can't wait to be there.. we'll leave for Australia on 24th June, then have a 15-16 days trip around there and then, finally!, we'll be in Lalati.

I was just in Taveuni and Beqa with temperatures ranging from 25-27c. Started to get cold in a 3mm towards the end of those 25c dives and I'm usually a heat source. Considering the temperature is only suppose to get colder from now to July you might want to think about a 5mm.

Thanks shutsal.
Usually I'm not a very-hot-diver.. In Philippines (27° water!) I was the only one who wore a hood.. :p
I'm definitely thinking about a 5mm.

Bula!
Lalati is a great spot. The dive staff are currently in transition but the resort managers have filled the posts as of this week with a couple who I believe are very good. The local staff have not changed.
The shark dive is very safe. Aquatrek are highly professional and you will not feel at all threatened by the sharks, including Tigers if they show up. The caged shark dives the TV like to show are nothing to do with what we offer in Fiji. This is a great way to see up to 12 species of shark, up close in safety.
Wet suits? Have a look at our Fiji temperature info which should help you
Greg

Many thanks, Greg. Shark dive is one of my targets, I will not surely miss it.
Glad to know that the new dive staff is good!
Just wondering, if you know: we'll have many luggage-weight troubles because of our 15 days in Australia before our departure for Fiji, so I have to decide: do I bring my diving stuff from home (and probably leave home some other things) or do I rent at least the suit and the bcd in Lalati? Do they have good availability and quality?
Thanks in advance.

Hi
I am not sure what rental gear Lalati has, but I have not heard any bad reports. Personally I would take your own suit especially if you have a 5mm - many rentals are 3mm here. BCD and Reg - resorts gear should be fine but a good idea to tell them in advance.
Greg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom