Diving in Lalati, Fiji

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, guys, I'm back from Lalati.
Where to start? Maybe from the end... I'm definitely disappointed.
After reading some rewievs, especially from seaduced (BTW, I saw your DesertDolphins red stickers inside the diving boat..) I did expect something really different.
I'll go by steps, maybe it's better.
- the resort: "luxury accomodations", every webpage says. Well, maybe one year ago it was a luxury accomodation. Now it's a decent accomodation which all the staff people (really, really friendly and helpful, this I have to say -with some exception as I'll say later) trying to mantain at their best. Common spaces are clean, gardens are tidy. But our cottage (a seaview, not Honeymoon) was really dirty, it was dirty when we arrived and it remained dirty until we leaved, bathroom more than the rest, with furniture which needed maintenance, window with broken glass, housekeeping whose best-cleaning-possibilities-concept is give a rapid sweep to the floor around everithing which rest on it.. Guys, I've traveled a little bit around the world, I've been in a lot of different accomodations, from a backpackers' room with one wc for 4 floor, to a 5 star plus spa resort, I'm experienced in that.. This is NOT a luxury accomodation at all, and as accomodation is less confortable and clean than some other similar jungle-like-resort really cheaper I've been (for example in Philippines);
- the resort staff: as I said, with the only exception of the housekeeping of our cottage (maybe we've been unlucky? who knows.. but other guest who travelled with us on our way back to Nadi, seemed to think the same), all the others were really friendly, helpful and efficient;
- the managers: helpful and efficient the girl (sorry, I forgot her name); only seen but never heard a word from Paul; friendly the dog;
- restaurant: the best thing in the resort, really tasteful;
- the diving center: poor logistic (no showers, rinse basin always dirty, centre often closed with nobody around), poor diving equipment (I had my own wetsuit and fins, but my wife not: there were only two or three 3mm suit, in poor conditions, really difficult to wear for a woman as they were man's fitted; only a pair of fins of her size, which seemed to came from the WW II; no bcd for her size, an S like 99% of woman, only 1 bcd of my size, M like 50% of man; regulators which have seen better days);
- the diving staff: the first day, when we try to choose the equipment we needed, the onyl man in the diving center was a staff boy, friendly but zero capable to give answer different than "no" (I asked to change my mouthpiece 'cause I got my own.. "no", he said. "why?" I asked. "bacause it is already assembled", the answer). The second day, a real guide (or she was the diving manager? nobody told us) arrived (Sarah). A good guide, a good divemaster. We had two or three dives with her, in the lagoon (bad weather, bad sea, impossibile to go outside). The visibility, obviously, was terrible, and the dives were nothing more than a way to accomplish our diving will. The day after finally! the weather was getting better so we arranged for a two tank dive outside the lagoon: finally the guide was sick and the plan changed, so no two tank dive and only a single tank dive guided by the stuff guy I mentioned before.. Nice, but nothing memorable. I asked for almost a week to arrange a shark dive, but It was impossibile to do. The first days, because of the weather (also when there were no wind they told that the weather did not permit to exit the lagoon.. this point is not possibile to confute, since we have no idea of the sea condition outside the lagoon). Two days before our departure because the guide was sick. The day before our departure, because shark dive is impossible to arrange on Tuesday. And in my opinion, this attitude well describe the habit of the diving.. they were not really upset when we asked to arrange a dive for the next day, but neither happy to do that, just like it was a difficult they prefere not not have. Surreal, in some ways. I've been diving for more than 10 years, in many different country, with more then 50 different diving center with different managers and maybe 1hundred different divemaster. Well, this is the first time in all my life I had this sense I described: not to be a coustomer longing to dive as much as possible, with all the staff longing to bring me to dive, but to be a difficult the diving preferred not to have.
Before the final considerations, to be honest I have to say that the weather did not help, with a lot of wind almost all days. But, for the last time: I experienced bad weather conditions before, and in all other occasions I always had the best dives for that possibilities, with all the staff making their best to dive as much as possibile. And not because I claim to dive at all costs, but because the staff did all that was possibile (and sometimes impossible) to make it happen. And only for the good reason (not money, I'm not a supermillionaire, not fame, I'm not a writer): passion, to dive and to share diving experience. This is what i think.

One positive thing to say: the bill was really honest, they made us a rich discount.

Anyway: at last, during our diving vacation we had 7 dives in total (4 for me and 3 for my wife).
If we were interested in saving money (for the dives, because the rest of the stay was not cheap at all), this would be a quite good week.
But our first goal was to dive, and about diving I have to say this is one of the worst overall experience I ever had.
Only unlucky-times? Maybe. This is our experience: I hope who will be there after us will be more lucky.
About that, I'm so curious to hear yudi experience..

Well, guys, ,sorry for this long & bothering report, but this is all I had to say.
Happy bubbles.

Thank you very much for your report, feedback is always appreciated. As I read, and read my eyes kept on getting bigger, and bigger. I am sorry about your experience. I am praying my experience to be different. We only have one vacation a year, and considering we are flying all the way from Miami I am hoping only, but good things. As far as weather conditions that will be out of my hands also, but will defenitely share my experience. Thank you very much for your feedback, and diving is our main priority as well.

Well, guys, I'm back from Lalati.
Where to start? Maybe from the end... I'm definitely disappointed.
After reading some rewievs, especially from seaduced (BTW, I saw your DesertDolphins red stickers inside the diving boat..) I did expect something really different.
I'll go by steps, maybe it's better.
- the resort: "luxury accomodations", every webpage says. Well, maybe one year ago it was a luxury accomodation. Now it's a decent accomodation which all the staff people (really, really friendly and helpful, this I have to say -with some exception as I'll say later) trying to mantain at their best. Common spaces are clean, gardens are tidy. But our cottage (a seaview, not Honeymoon) was really dirty, it was dirty when we arrived and it remained dirty until we leaved, bathroom more than the rest, with furniture which needed maintenance, window with broken glass, housekeeping whose best-cleaning-possibilities-concept is give a rapid sweep to the floor around everithing which rest on it.. Guys, I've traveled a little bit around the world, I've been in a lot of different accomodations, from a backpackers' room with one wc for 4 floor, to a 5 star plus spa resort, I'm experienced in that.. This is NOT a luxury accomodation at all, and as accomodation is less confortable and clean than some other similar jungle-like-resort really cheaper I've been (for example in Philippines);
- the resort staff: as I said, with the only exception of the housekeeping of our cottage (maybe we've been unlucky? who knows.. but other guest who travelled with us on our way back to Nadi, seemed to think the same), all the others were really friendly, helpful and efficient;
- the managers: helpful and efficient the girl (sorry, I forgot her name); only seen but never heard a word from Paul; friendly the dog;
- restaurant: the best thing in the resort, really tasteful;
- the diving center: poor logistic (no showers, rinse basin always dirty, centre often closed with nobody around), poor diving equipment (I had my own wetsuit and fins, but my wife not: there were only two or three 3mm suit, in poor conditions, really difficult to wear for a woman as they were man's fitted; only a pair of fins of her size, which seemed to came from the WW II; no bcd for her size, an S like 99% of woman, only 1 bcd of my size, M like 50% of man; regulators which have seen better days);
- the diving staff: the first day, when we try to choose the equipment we needed, the onyl man in the diving center was a staff boy, friendly but zero capable to give answer different than "no" (I asked to change my mouthpiece 'cause I got my own.. "no", he said. "why?" I asked. "bacause it is already assembled", the answer). The second day, a real guide (or she was the diving manager? nobody told us) arrived (Sarah). A good guide, a good divemaster. We had two or three dives with her, in the lagoon (bad weather, bad sea, impossibile to go outside). The visibility, obviously, was terrible, and the dives were nothing more than a way to accomplish our diving will. The day after finally! the weather was getting better so we arranged for a two tank dive outside the lagoon: finally the guide was sick and the plan changed, so no two tank dive and only a single tank dive guided by the stuff guy I mentioned before.. Nice, but nothing memorable. I asked for almost a week to arrange a shark dive, but It was impossibile to do. The first days, because of the weather (also when there were no wind they told that the weather did not permit to exit the lagoon.. this point is not possibile to confute, since we have no idea of the sea condition outside the lagoon). Two days before our departure because the guide was sick. The day before our departure, because shark dive is impossible to arrange on Tuesday. And in my opinion, this attitude well describe the habit of the diving.. they were not really upset when we asked to arrange a dive for the next day, but neither happy to do that, just like it was a difficult they prefere not not have. Surreal, in some ways. I've been diving for more than 10 years, in many different country, with more then 50 different diving center with different managers and maybe 1hundred different divemaster. Well, this is the first time in all my life I had this sense I described: not to be a coustomer longing to dive as much as possible, with all the staff longing to bring me to dive, but to be a difficult the diving preferred not to have.
Before the final considerations, to be honest I have to say that the weather did not help, with a lot of wind almost all days. But, for the last time: I experienced bad weather conditions before, and in all other occasions I always had the best dives for that possibilities, with all the staff making their best to dive as much as possibile. And not because I claim to dive at all costs, but because the staff did all that was possibile (and sometimes impossible) to make it happen. And only for the good reason (not money, I'm not a supermillionaire, not fame, I'm not a writer): passion, to dive and to share diving experience. This is what i think.

One positive thing to say: the bill was really honest, they made us a rich discount.

Anyway: at last, during our diving vacation we had 7 dives in total (4 for me and 3 for my wife).
If we were interested in saving money (for the dives, because the rest of the stay was not cheap at all), this would be a quite good week.
But our first goal was to dive, and about diving I have to say this is one of the worst overall experience I ever had.
Only unlucky-times? Maybe. This is our experience: I hope who will be there after us will be more lucky.
About that, I'm so curious to hear yudi experience..

Well, guys, ,sorry for this long & bothering report, but this is all I had to say.
Happy bubbles.

Thank you very much for your report, feedback is always appreciated. As I read, and read my eyes kept on getting bigger, and bigger. I am sorry about your experience. I am praying my experience to be different. We only have one vacation a year, and considering we are flying all the way from Miami I am hoping only, but good things. As far as weather conditions that will be out of my hands also, but will defenitely share my experience. Thank you very much for your feedback, and diving is our main priority as well.

yudi, I really hope that our was only bad luck and wish you the best.
To tell the truth, I was not sure if it was a right decision to write this review before your trip, I didn't mean to give you any influence in your opinion and thought if it was a better idea to wait until your return.. but finally I decided to write it because a)it's just my experience, and maybe your will be completely different, and b)if it can be useful for you or for anybody else and improve your stay while you are there, it's better to know also a negative opinion.
Anyway: good trip and good dives!

Hello everyone,

Well we returned from our trip, and took a little bit longer to reply since I have been trying to settle in again.

Fortunatley I have only but great things to say in overall about Lalati. I'll cover different areas.

Thankfully when we arrived the weather was grat during our stay. We had stayed on the front beach bure, and it was just perfect, and beautiful. Very spacious as well. The housekeeper did a great job on maintaining our bure clean. The staff Rush, Ala, Chantelle, Lui, Paul, Kirsti are among the best staff I have ever come across in my life. They went above, and beyond to help us with anything we needed, and made sure we were extremely satisfied.

Dive center - Lalati is very fortunate to have hired Ian and Zara as divemasters. They are excellent, and were able to take us to take to awesome diving spots. As far as the equipment I cannot really comment since everytime my husband, and I travel we bring all of our equipment. I did speak with them, and they mentioned they were bringing in new equipment into the shop. It was great to wake up every morning, and have breakfast, and ready to go diving. As soon as we got in the boats all we needed to take care of is making sure we were on time, and going through our buddy checks. The dive sites were among some of the best we ever dove. Lots of fish, soft corals, and more corals. I must admit my first dive was so incredible,a nd beautiful that I came up with 200 psi something that has never happened to me in the past as I am very cautious with my safety, but I guess I got carried away with so much to see. We mainly came here to dive, and I am glad we chose Lalati because it was awesome to be in a big boat, and never be crowded. Throughout our entire stay we dove with a couple from Australia who had over 300 plus dives, and having dove the Great Barrier Reef they admitted to us that the diving they had done in Bega Lagoon was the best they have ever done in their lives.

I loved Lalati so much that I would return in a heartbeat. As a matter of fact Mark, and I would love to renew our vows in Lalati :)

Thank you everyone for all your posts, and Dan I hope you would have had a better experience, and I am glad Mark and I enjoyed the best vacations of our lives.

yudi, I really hope that our was only bad luck and wish you the best.
To tell the truth, I was not sure if it was a right decision to write this review before your trip, I didn't mean to give you any influence in your opinion and thought if it was a better idea to wait until your return.. but finally I decided to write it because a)it's just my experience, and maybe your will be completely different, and b)if it can be useful for you or for anybody else and improve your stay while you are there, it's better to know also a negative opinion.
Anyway: good trip and good dives!

Hello everyone,

Well we returned from our trip, and took a little bit longer to reply since I have been trying to settle in again.

Fortunatley I have only but great things to say in overall about Lalati. I'll cover different areas.

Well, yudi, I'm really happy for you.. And really unhappy for us. It seems we were in Lalati in the worst week of their recent history. no divemaster, no equipment, no dives, no clean rooms.. Maybe they've learned form their mistakes, maybe they were only in a work-in-progress period. In this last case, it should have been enough for us to know that, and if someone told us "guys, be patient, we'll do our best but something will not be as it should..", we'd understand that. But nobody did, and our opnion remains the same.
in any case, thanks for your experience and have good dives!

H2o2,

I think the big difference at Lalati are the rooms. We too were in a seaview room and the other part of our group were in the beach front rooms. There was NO comparison in the rooms! Their rooms looked very luxurious and ours was not that great! Oh well... we just hung out on their patios most of the time!

Hi Jake,

I totally agree. We stayed in the ocean room and honestly it was really big and nice, but like.everything else it.came at a much higher price almost 1300 usd difference. The honeymoon rooms were so beautiful that it made our room look bad lol. Either way I must say Fiji in overall is not cheap, and should not be compared.to places in southeast Asia. For example I've stayed in a 3 star hotel in the Maldives, and paid 5 star resort prices compared to other places in the world. After Bega Lagoon we left to the Yasawas, and while the room was a little bit nicer than Lalati we payed double the money. This being said I think Lalati is an amazing place with great prices considering is in Fiji.

Sent from my SGH-T769 using Tapatalk 2

Not all places in Fiji are over priced. As a matter of fact I am kind of a cheap bastage and I found that Fiji offered some fantastic bargains. You just have to look for them and screen out the haunts of the upper crust. In spite of the air fare being well over twice as much I can do Fiji for far less than Hawaii. It's not even close.

I agree that not all places are overpriced, but you do get what you pay for. That is just my opinion. Some islands in Fiji if you want to stay in them you better get ready to.spend some money. Is like Indonesia it is so cheap to stay in hotels, buy if you want to go to Waikitobi get ready to spend money. I agree.about Hawaii, it is very expensive.

Sent from my SGH-T769 using Tapatalk 2

Will be at the Lalati Resort November 1, 2013. Does anyone have recent experiences with the diving and dive operation. The last post is almost 1 year old. Thanks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom