Diving in Late December?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

goonsquad

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Thinking about coming down to southern Florida for a Christmas trip and am wondering if the diving is good that time of the year. Planning on doing a Miami through the keys trip and would like to dive off the keys but willing to go wherever.

Question 1. Worth the time or should I go to Hawaii? (I really love FL not a big fan of Hawaii)
Question 2. Where can I shore dive in these areas?
Question 3. Would a boat be the best bet?
Question 4. Where do I get the best Cigars and Rum?

1. Yes (says the 30 year resident who will not relocate when she retires)
2. You can't shore dive Miami or the Keys, but you can shore dive anywhere in Broward where you can park. It's a short drive from Miami.
3. If you want to dive Miami or the Keys, a boat is your only bet.
4. Cigars = yucky. Beats me. Cayo Hueso, perhaps. Rum = Total Wine.

Debby makes some good points as always - I'll add some info:

That time of year is iffy due to the wind that can accompany cold fronts that come down from up north during the winter - while they don't bring snow, they can ruin diving if the wind blows strong enough - no way to tell right now, but be aware you stand a MUCH better chance of being blown out in Dec - early April than you do June - Sept. Just something to keep in mind.

(I'm not even going to touch on what could happen if the currents take the oil spill - which has NOT had any effect on the Keys or S. FL as yet - this way - we are all praying).

In MIA, the only real option for boat diving is RJ Diving Ventures - excellent op, BTW Located in Miami Beach - too many to mention in the upper Keys; do a search as this is likely the most asked topic.

Forget shore diving in the Miami and the Keys - its bad, as Debby points out - places do exist in Broward and Palm Beach counties, but they are not real close to the places you are talking about staying. A boat is really your only option if you want to see a reef or a wreck, unless you plan to travel 100's of miles to see sand and turtle grass.

Cigars.....hmmmm I love 'em - the best local place's at the best prices are Mikes Cigars, and Neptune Cigars in the Miami area - both have web sites too - because its a popular habit down here, the vast majority of the shops are very good - the ones I mentioned have the best prices (and I do 2 per day).

Re rum, this is (I know its easy especially for us residents to forget) America - Barbados or St Thomas its not - any bar will likely have what you want.

Having dove Hawaii and lived in Miami for 31 years, all I'll say is that they are vastly different places - apples and oranges - I could make a list of the pro's and con's of both, but really that's for you to decide. I love S. FL diving - but all things being equal, I think Hawaii is really unique but likely to be more expensive, time consuming, etc.

You have a ton of info at your fingertips - do some searching and you will get a TON of info about both locations.

Thanks, I've spent a bit of time in North Fl. (Family in Ocala) and love the state. Hawaii, not so much, don't really like the "Island Vibe" but for me it will cost almost equal and I plan on only diving one or two days on this trip so I think I'll stick with Fl. check out Hemingway's old haunting grounds and arrange a dive or two.

Any decent (remember I'm from UT.) freshwater diving to recommend?

You know Hemmingway was in Key West - 150 miles from KL and Mia, right? (diving much better other areas than KW BTW)

If you are into caverns FL has the some of the best fresh water diving anywhere - Ginnie Springs, Blue Springs, many others - but I'm the wrong guy to ask b/c its not my thing (and yes, I've dove both mentioned).

Not to mention that the caves and caverns are hours north of Miami and the Keys.

well, as i am from Ut, just about anything is better than what we have here, looks like i'll plan on diving in MIA and then head on out to the keys.

I stayed in KL last Xmas- New Year week. Weather was great and boats went out everyday. I think it was pretty lucky though as I did expect to be affected by weather that time of year. I plan on doing it again this year. Saw some critters I haven't seen at other times of year (Manta, Tiger Shark). It was a blast.
As for the rum, I bring my own and I don't smoke so good luck that but I can't imagine there not being some cuban cigars to be had down there.

I would have to check my computer but I believe the shallow reefs were 80-82 Suunto degrees and deep wrecks around 78'ish. Warmer than Hawaii for sure but you do have the Humpbacks in Maui that time of year.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom