Diving in Mabul/Sipadan Borneo Malaysia.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

eleibow

Reaction score
Went Diving in Mabul, Borneo Malaysia in May 2009. It was a long flight to get there. Took 23 hours of flying to arrive in Tawau flying from New Jersey. Saw Kuala Lumpur on a seven hour layover. I overnighted in Tawau and then was picked up in the morning by Borneo Divers where after an 1.5 hour dive, I boarded a boat for an additional 1.5 hour ride to the island of Mabul. I was checked for Swine Flu in Tawau.
I was very lucky. Everyday, of my stay, excluding the day I arrived, I dove at Sipadan, doing (3-4) dives per day.
The best site to dive at Sipadan was Barracuda Point. You see a multitude of turtles, white tip, sharks, schools of Barracuda, some triggerfish and many other varieties of tropical fish. Not all of the other sites at Sipadan are as good as Barracuda Point.
The army is stationed on Sipadan Island and I frequently saw soldiers on Mabul.
I was very apprehensive of going to Malaysia for two reasons:
1)I remember reading about the terrorist attack on this island in 2001.
2)Sipadan limits the number of divers visiting the island. I head of people going there, traveling the long distance and only permitted to dive this island for one day.
I could not rave about the food at Borneo divers. All meals are buffet style. However the excellent diving made up for the meals.
This was the best diving, I've done in recent years. I had no problems whatsoever with security. It's a great place to dive, if you don't mind the long flight.
I would also suggest that you tip the divemaster and boatcrew at the end of each day of diving, instead of waiting to the end of your stay.

Hope you do all your dives at Sipadan. Have a great vacation. Stay healthy. They will check your temperature to see if you have Swine Flu when you get off the plane.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom