Diving in Panama

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pgcosta

Contributor
Reaction score
Rio de Janeiro - Brazil (it *is* quite far away...
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi!!

Planning a trip to Panama next february and seems it's not so popular for diving... Any information / tips / good storys / not so good storys... will be welcome!

Thanks!!!!

If you like big critters, consider diving the Pacific side. If you like reefs and macro life, the Caribbean side is good. In my opinion, the best diving in Panama is in September and October on the Caribbean side. Most people have never heard of Escudo de Veraguas, Tiger Rock, and Polo Beach, but these sites are world class (caves, caverns, great small critters and lots of big critters, usually with 80-100 ft. of vis). Unfortunately these sites are on the windward side and are only accesible in September and October.

Tagging on to this thread as I am also researching Panama. I've heard that Cuiba National Park on Pacific side is comparable to Galapagos, only fewer divers. Any truth to that?

If you like big critters, consider diving the Pacific side. If you like reefs and macro life, the Caribbean side is good. In my opinion, the best diving in Panama is in September and October on the Caribbean side. Most people have never heard of Escudo de Veraguas, Tiger Rock, and Polo Beach, but these sites are world class (caves, caverns, great small critters and lots of big critters, usually with 80-100 ft. of vis). Unfortunately these sites are on the windward side and are only accesible in September and October.

Hi, Cappyjon431!

Thanks for replying!!

Is the water cold in the pacific ?? I do like big critters! But I also like warm waters, so I almost always end up somewhere in the caribbean... taking pictures of nudibranchs, sponges and coral formations :)

I heard someone over here say that you can dive both caribbean and pacific on the same day !!??? Is this possible ?

Do I have somewhere to dive in the caribbean in february?

Sorry for asking so many questions!:confused:

Water on the pacific side can run about 65 degrees (a little cool for my tastes). I believe ScubaPanama in Panama City might offer some type of dive Caribbean/Pacific in one day, but it would be difficult logistically. It is also possible to dive in one of the lakes that make up the Panama Canal (I've heard that there are some trains left over from the building of the Canal that make great wreck dives. Bocas del Toro, Portobello and Colon all have Caribbean side diving in February. Of course I'm biased, but I think Bocas del Toro is the best Caribbean side diving in Panama. Coiba Island is probably the best on the Pacific side.

Thank you so much! These are valuable information and I will be able to do some web researching on those places, for accomodations, distances and so on. Maybe I can even go to Boca del Toro and dive with your shop! That sounds great already!!

And Diver-X, you're, of course, welcome!!! I hope the info we got here helps you too! I've heard about Coiba island, but didn't know it had that reputation. Perhaps our friend Cappyjon can enlighten us some more...

Have any of you guys heard of Panama Divers out of Portobelo? I've heard good things and plan a trip in Dec.(?) for a week with them. Anyone notice what species of seashells are found on the Caribbean side?

Coiba is a very, very nice place to dive and the Islands on the outside of Coiba must be spectacular, but i guess that Galapagos is still a bit better.

The inside (between mainland and Coiba) is more simple to dive, but with a surprising amount of marine animals, especialy turtles.
Often you can watch turtles and white tip sharks snorkeling!

Coiba Dive Center ( Coiba Dive Center - *click the diver below for more information ) is offering 3 Day trips with accomodation on Coiba Island
in basic Bungalows once destinated to a fishing resort but seized by Noriega and now rented by the park rangers.

Glen and Julie from Coiba Dive Center where always professional, warm and friendly and for shure i will dive next time again with them.

Chris

Have any of you guys heard of Panama Divers out of Portobelo? I've heard good things and plan a trip in Dec.(?) for a week with them. Anyone notice what species of seashells are found on the Caribbean side?

I know Panama Diving Adventures out of Panama City does diving off of Portobelo. I have not dived that area (I'm still exploring all of the sites off of Bocas del Toro, Panama), but Raul out of Panama Diving Adventures runs a top-notch operation.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom