Diving in Puerto Rico

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Deskjockey

Registered
Reaction score
I'm going to PR in about 10 days and am looking for somewhere to dive. I've searched and it seems that the SW coast, La Paguera is the area to go. I'll be going with my family, a 9 year-old, and a non-diving wife. I'll be staying on the exact opposite side of the Island and a 3 hour drive from Paguera. Is there anything in that area to keep my family occupied while I do a 2 Tanker? I called scuba centro who got raves on this board but they only go out on weekends. Any other suggestions?

I'm headed to PR in October, I'll be anxious to hear how your experience went. I'll be staying in Fajardo. Tentatively, scheduled to dive the Culebra area.

I have been diving off of Fajardo. It was decent diving but not nearly as nice as on the Southwest portion of the Island in la Parguera. The vis was about 50 feet, the water somewhat turbid, the coral was pretty nice but not great.

I have just posted about la Parguera earlier. Run a search for more information.

Hi Dealey,

Interesting, I am going to PR in October on a "Company Sponsored" trip. Are you by any chance staying at the Wyndham El Conquistador? If you are send me an email offline (andrewhturner@yahoo.com).
-Andrew

Deskjockey:
I'm going to PR in about 10 days and am looking for somewhere to dive. I've searched and it seems that the SW coast, La Paguera is the area to go.
La Paguera has great diving. Parguera Divers is a great shop. If you use them say hi to Angel for me.

Deskjockey:
I'll be going with my family, a 9 year-old, and a non-diving wife. I'll be staying on the exact opposite side of the Island and a 3 hour drive from Paguera. Is there anything in that area to keep my family occupied while I do a 2 Tanker?
Absolutly nothing. La Paguera is a fishing village. It gets a little traffic on weekends but during the week you'd be hard pressed to find a more boring place. About the closest place of any interest would be the Guanca dry forest. There are some beaches within 1/2 hour drive from there but there are no waves on that side of the island.

James

James Goddard:
La Paguera has great diving. Parguera Divers is a great shop. If you use them say hi to Angel for me.

Absolutly nothing. La Paguera is a fishing village. It gets a little traffic on weekends but during the week you'd be hard pressed to find a more boring place. About the closest place of any interest would be the Guanca dry forest. There are some beaches within 1/2 hour drive from there but there are no waves on that side of the island.

James

I'm a little surprised -- perhaps I fell for the literature. I'm heading there in a couple of weeks with my wife and 2 kids (8 & 4) and have been hunting around for things we can do when I'm not diving and things they can do when I am. Although it didn't appear that there were a whole lot of things in La Parguera itself, it seemed that, within an hour or so by car, there were a number of activities to keep everyone busy. In addition to the dry forest and beaches that James mentions, there also are several nature reserves (ex. Cartagena Lagoon), the phosphorescent bay (night), caverns, areas for snorkling and kayaking, etc. Also, I understood that both Mayaguez and Ponce were fairly close as well and worth a visit. If you hunt around on the web, you should be able to find quite a few tourist sites with information about the Lajas region.

I also decided to go with Parguera Divers, although I'm still playing with the idea of trying to get to Desecheo Island one day. James, others, is Desecheo worth the trip?

Hal

Although it's been years since I've been there and been diving (with Parguera Divers during the Efra period), one absolutely positively not to be missed is the phosphorescent bay boat trip (at night obviously). Go on the smallest boat you can. This is for the whole family. The darker the better, so go when the moon is down.

Andy

Hal:
I'm a little surprised -- perhaps I fell for the literature. I'm heading there in a couple of weeks with my wife and 2 kids (8 & 4) and have been hunting around for things we can do when I'm not diving and things they can do when I am. Although it didn't appear that there were a whole lot of things in La Parguera itself, it seemed that, within an hour or so by car, there were a number of activities to keep everyone busy. In addition to the dry forest and beaches that James mentions, there also are several nature reserves (ex. Cartagena Lagoon), the phosphorescent bay (night), caverns, areas for snorkling and kayaking, etc. Also, I understood that both Mayaguez and Ponce were fairly close as well and worth a visit. If you hunt around on the web, you should be able to find quite a few tourist sites with information about the Lajas region.

I also decided to go with Parguera Divers, although I'm still playing with the idea of trying to get to Desecheo Island one day. James, others, is Desecheo worth the trip?

Hal
Within an hour drive there is stuff to do, but there is absolutly nothing to do in the village itself. During the week I think there are a grand total of 2 places open to even eat dinner. We talked Angel in to taking us to the phosphorescent bay on the way back from a night trip. IIRC we had to pay an extra $10pp but it was worth it. It's best to go when there is no moon.

James

Has anyone been diving with a shop called Sea Ventures in Guanica (at the Copamarina resort)?

Hal

Hal:
...is Desecheo worth the trip?Hal
Bearing in mind that I'm prejudiced because it's where I first certified, I say enthusiastically "Yes!" Desecheo is off Rincon, from where it's an easy six-hour trip for a two-tank dive with lunch. Rincon itself is less than two hours' drive from La Parguera. Desecheo is probably the least-known of Carlson Travel's "Top 10 Caribbean Dive Destinations" (Of course, there are many such lists.) Desecheo can also be combined in a longer trip with Mona Island. AFAIK, Taino Divers is still the only dive op in Rincon, but they don't act like it, providing good service at a good value. Regarding stuff for kids -- your kids are probably too young for the great surfing there, and may not appreciate the scenic lighthouses in the area. There are probably kid-friendly activities in Ponce, the largest town nearest La Parguera, but I don't know specifically.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom