Diving in Puerto Rico

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hal:
Has anyone been diving with a shop called Sea Ventures in Guanica (at the Copamarina resort)?

Hal
We dove with them in Feb 2004. Give them a call and make sure that the boat is in working order!!
It was run by Bill and Shauna, if they are still in charge there I recommend them. If not, ????...

If you have the time, take a ferry to the Island of Culebra, east of P.R. There are a couple of dive shops on the island. I have been all over the world and Little Culebra will blow your mind. There is a little island just NW of Little Culebra where you dive from one side of the island to the other side (long swim thru) and then on the other side there are 2 caves, just make sure you leave enough air to get back to the other side of the island or it will be a long swim around. There the reefs are great with alot of marine life and many sharks will come by and check you out. The US Navy use to bomb these little islands as target practice. We saw big shells (50 lbs +) and bombs all over the bottom.

Have a great trip.

Thanks for the suggestions. In the end, will get to Desecheo one day (with Oceans Unlimited) and then spend the other days with La Parguera.

Hal

Deskjockey:
I'll be going with my family, a 9 year-old, and a non-diving wife. I'll be staying on the exact opposite side of the Island and a 3 hour drive from Paguera. Is there anything in that area to keep my family occupied while I do a 2 Tanker?

Where exactly will you be staying in PR? I lived there for almost 3 years (6 years ago) in Condado which is right outside of San Juan. I lived right on the lagoon! It was awesome. If you're staying in San Juan I remember the bus system wasn't bad and there is lots of shops and historical sites in Old San Juan. Like I said, it was 6 years ago and I know things have changed some. I know someone still living in PR that I could get some info regarding things to do for your wife and child. Let me know if you interested.

When you're not diving try driving around the island some - if you're the adventureous type. It's actually a beautiful place once you get out of the city. Aguadilla was my favorite but there is NOTHING there. Most out of towners go there for surfing. Also go to the rain forest, El Yunque, to do some hiking. They have a waterfall you can hike to and actually swim in - along with a lot of locals usually. Buy them some snorkel equipment. That is what I use to do because I wasn't certified back then.

Oh yeah, don't be afraid to stop at some of the little shack-like places to eat. We always did and never got sick. PR food is great. Some stuff looks a little suspicious but at least give it a try.

We'll be staying in Dorado, We've been to PR a few times and love the place. I was really just trying to find out if there was something near La Parguera, that I overlooked, to entertain the wife and 9 year-old while I do a 2-tanker in the morning. It's been decided (for me) that I'll leave them at the hotel to enjoy the river pool while I dive. I've been informed that they might survive the half day without me (ouch)! Thanks for the input.

Just got back from Copamarina. The resort was great. It would be a good choice for families with kids. Take the all-inclusive, it's well worth it.

Sea Ventures left alot to be desired. Very unorganized and no full-time captain. We booked a hotel/dive pkg months in advance that included 3 days of 2 tank morning dives. We were there for 4 days and only had 2 - 2 tank dives. One day no captain, the last day they just plain messed up. Acknowledged that it was their fault, not ours, but made no attempt to rectify the situation. A big circle of pass the buck. There were 4 divers in 2 days also turned away being told there was no captain. We later found out the cptn had called in both days wanting to work and was told that there were no divers.

The 2 days we did dive were nice. Nice, easy wall at 80-100+ ft. Healthy coral, fans and sponges and not much for fish. Reef dive had more fish, eel and large nurse sharks.

If you want to dive with SeaVentures(Dive Copamarina), be very cautious. If they still have no f/t cptn, get the p/t cptns phone nbr the first day and regardless of what the shop staff, manager or DM tells you, call and confirm with the cptn that you are diving!

2 divers told us they went out with La Parguera Divers and the DM took lobsters while leading the dive. It was not a catch & release program. It was dinner.

Back
Top Bottom