Diving in Puerto Vallarta

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

K_girl

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Went to Puerto Vallarta for some diving in August. There aren't any dedicated dive resorts that I've found, so you are going to probably pay taxi fare to get to the diving. I stayed at Costa Sur resort and paid about 70 pesos to get to downtown. Water temp at this time of year: 85 degrees. Viz this time of year, 35-45 feet. The two main operators are Chico's Dive Shop and Puerta Adventures.

Chico's Dive Shop: On the malecon, downtown. They only go to Los Arcos, but it is a beautiful site. It is about a 40-minute ride on their party-style boat. They have a toilet. You leave about 10:00 am in the morning and get back about 3:30 pm. You will get the maximum dive time and personal attention with this crew. All my dives were at least one hour, with one dive up to one hour and 12 minutes. I saw 3400 pounds in one of my tanks. The ride was quiet and amazingly calm and flat. From the reports, I did not expect to see much, but their dive master, Fausto is a master at finding critters and seeing things. Numerous octopus (during the day!). On one single dive I saw a turtle, a manta ray and an eagle ray (I am not kidding). If you book a trip with your snorkeling-only friends, they can snuba for the price of snorkeling (very kewl). They lauch a small skiff from the beach, across from the dive shop to transport you to their boat. You will pay $63 for two tanks for this dive if you book on-line using PayPal. No exchange fees. You can also book Vallarta Adventure trips through them and if you book it on-line via Paypal, you will get the best rate. They don't tell you that the other dive sites are operated by Vallarta Adventures, but they are.

Vallarta Adventures: Did one dive with this operation. You leave from the marina (further out from downtown). You leave at 9:00 am and return at about 4:30 pm. You are on a big, two-decker boat with numerous snorklers, probably at least 25 or more. They have a nice snack bar, lunch and restroom. You will be bombarded with loud disco music all the way there and back which is about a 50 minute ride each way. Before they reach the snorkle site, they drop the divers in the water. You are told the dive will be 40 minutes (and they stick to that time for both dives). You exit the water on a zodiac and are transported back to the "mother ship." The viz was about the same, but dive master didn't point out much of anything.

Because of the closer proximity to my hotel, the longer dive times and the skills of dive master, Fausto, I decided to do most of my diving with Chico's. It's a personal choice. This was not strictly a dive trip, there are many other fun things to do in Puerto Vallarta. I would say, maybe three to four dive days on a trip. Have fun!

It's too bad you missed out on the two good dive shops while you were there, Banderas SCUBA Republic in Olas Altas and PV Sea Dive right around the corner from Chico's. Both do smaller, more customized trips to a wider variety of locations for less money. I'm not sure what you mean by "They don't tell you that the other dive sites are operated by Vallarta Adventures, but they are.", I know that neither of the two I mentioned are operated by VA.

I'm glad you had a great time, I love PV.

Also available is Vallarta Undersea right at the Marina and now there is GRINS, a 47 ft sailing catamaran with dive instructor on board. Grins is for the whole family that wants a day out on the water. It is easy to stand out from Vallarta Adventures as long as you do not have 200 people on the boat.

Looking for best experience diving in PV . Going there May 17-25th any suggestions greatly appreciated
thanks

Looking for best experience diving in PV . Going there May 17-25th any suggestions greatly appreciated
thanks

Lots of good advice above and in recent threads about Puerto Vallarta. "Best" depends on what you are looking for. Was there recently...not much changed. A couple of smaller ops in and around PV. Bigger ops have divers + snorklers. Depends on what you are looking for. More info on what/how you want to dive would prob help guide you in right direction...

I've been diving in PV for a number of years, as have a number of folks here. "Best" is going to be determined by size of boat, location of shop, etc. expectations of the guest. We have our favorites/regulars, but fit can only be determined if we know what you expect/what.

Just returned on May 5. The wife and I went with Banderas Scuba Republic. Cesar and Julian were excellent, safe, and fun. Gear was in great shape. Wife did OW cert, I did AOW. No cattle drive dive with these guy, just us 2, and Julian (the instructor) and another US diver going through dive master cert. You meet at the dive shop in the AM, Cesar picked us up at hotel. For dive days vs. pool work, Julian drove us out to Mismoloya. We moved gear into the boat, and headed out. We dove 2 dives one day, and 3 the next (I did a deep dive for AOW with Julian, the instructor, and the guy going through the dive master qual). Vis was poor both days, and temps were cold (56 at 96 feet, and that temp sometimes at shallower depths like 30 feet). We were told the diving is warmer and clearer during the rainy season, from June to October. If you're considering Vallarta Undersea, I'd look into this horror story. Vallarta Undersea lost 16 divers in open water - YouTube

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom