Diving in Roatan, Honduras

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Divenanny

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi,

I'm going to Roatan, Honduras with a group of divers during the first week in November. We are staying at Anthony's Key Resort. How is the diving? How is the resort? Anyone who has been there, I would love to know.

you can check out the diving pictures here from July 4th.

here

I liked AKR alot. Good food and lots and lots of diving. We had a non AC room and it was pleasant and not too hot, but we were right on the water. Some of the others didnt seem to get the same breeze as ours.

I'm going to Roatan Anthony's Key Resort. How is the diving? How is the resort?

So you're already booked and now you ask? :rofl3:

AKR is a model for dive resorts.

I'm going to Roatan, Honduras with a group of divers during the first week in November. We are staying at Anthony's Key Resort. How is the diving? How is the resort? Anyone who has been there, I would love to know.

We happened to meet ryssyr there this summer :) and also loved the diving and enjoyed the resort!

Diving - Most of the sites are wall dives within 5-10 min of the dock, starting at 20-50 ft at the top of the wall with the sand down at 100-140 ft. Others here can comment on the conditions during the time you're going. Generally a very healthy reef with both large and small fish and invertebrates. There are also two large wrecks, the Aguila and Odyssey, each in about 110 ft with lots to explore. 3 single-tank boat dives per day gives you a lot of flexibility and great surface intervals - you can go deep every dive if you want. Shark and dolphin dives cost extra - we did the shark dive and it was great. Note that you may not get a safety briefing on the boat - so if you want to know where the O2 is and what the radio protocols are, you'd better ask. Otherwise our divemaster and boat captain were very laid back, friendly, and helpful. The shore dive is nothing to write home about, though - haul your gear across the key, long swim out to the miniwall, not as healthy as the deeper sites - it's a decent snorkel, though.

Resort - We had an AC room and it was very nice. There are lots of non-diving activities to take advantage of - free kayaking, free horseback riding, dolphin encounter ($), zipline canopy tour + visit with the monkeys ($). The food and service are generally good - the restaurant doesn't get much of a breeze, so it can get a bit hotter up there. Be sure to take advantage of 2-for-1 Happy Hour MWF and try the Monkey Lala! There is a picnic/bbq on the key one night, a lunch at Fins & Flippers island on the South side one day, and music at the bar some nights. Most important advice - use insect repellant at all times - before you go outside in the morning, and when the boat gets back to the dock - the sand fleas are everywhere. We liked the Cactus Juice products (one was a spray, the other was a combo suntan lotion, both smell good) sold at the dive shop and only used our DEET when we went on the canopy tour.

Lots of other discussion threads here on AKR to review - enjoy your trip!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom