Diving in the Chesapeake Bay?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

loganhand

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
The Chesapeake bay has always been interesting and unpredictable. However, I don't ever hear that many people diving in the Chesapeake bay for recreational reasons other than fishing for oysters. Is there any good diving? I hear that some spots are becoming more clear because of some type of grass bed and are attracting divers and snorkelers because you can "see your toes" while standing in the water, and you can even "see a diver on the bottom". Any divers here that have any information about the diving in the Chesapeake Bay, please share.

Thank you.

quotes about the clarity of the water:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GdeA0dEMsng

Interesting.
I think low visibility keeps most people away no matter what's down there. The bottom of the Chesapeake is mostly mud and oyster beds; not so interesting for most, although I would be happy swimming around looking at grass.

I don't know of any dive-able wrecks in the bay, but there must be some, right?

There is a couple dive sites in the area, such as the:U-1105 in the Potomac and the S-49 and Columbia in the Patuxent.

There are some areas in the shallow waters of the Chesapeake near the mouth of the York and James rivers where I've seen at least 20 feet of visibility, but the water was only 15-20 feet deep at most. I was kayaking at the time, but I enjoyed watching the crabs scuttle about. Though about diving there but never took the opportunity.

I'll be out on the U-1105 next weekend (it is just off of Piney Point). I'm expecting the viz to be between 2 and 10 feet. We'll see. The S-49 is especially tricky to dive.

Mid to late summer, you have to deal with sea nettles (a stinging jellyfish). Most stay out of the water once they arrive.

I'll be out on the U-1105 next weekend (it is just off of Piney Point). I'm expecting the viz to be between 2 and 10 feet. We'll see. The S-49 is especially tricky to dive.

If you remember, you pointed me in the direction of Tom and I was able to dive the U-1105 last September. Much appreciated. Conditions were perfect for the Potomac; vis ~10 feet. Here is some (mostly) raw video of that dive:

U-1105 - YouTube

Interesting.

There are some areas in the shallow waters of the Chesapeake near the mouth of the York and James rivers where I've seen at least 20 feet of visibility, but the water was only 15-20 feet deep at most. I was kayaking at the time, but I enjoyed watching the crabs scuttle about. Though about diving there but never took the opportunity.

are those rivers divable more upstream too? sounds interesting

If you remember, you pointed me in the direction of Tom and I was able to dive the U-1105 last September. Much appreciated. Conditions were perfect for the Potomac; vis ~10 feet. Here is some (mostly) raw video of that dive:

U-1105 - YouTube

Glad that you had a good time.

I am new to the forum so hello to all. I know of some hard and shell bottom areas that should be good to dive as well as spear fish. If anyone wants to get together to spear fish let me know.

Where and when? I even have a small RIB that can carry a couple divers. So far, I haven't dove with it on the Potomac, but I've been searching some of the cliff areas for meg teeth (across from Quantico and down past Mallory Bay).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom