Diving in the Chesapeake Bay?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey Katch, good to hear from you. Lots of good spots depending on what you want to do. I'm into spear fishing and around structures so visibility does not need to be to far. After winter, the water is cleaner and around rt 3' those bridges the water get pretty clean. Around the BBT, we can dive around the rock piles. I am also looking to go off the beaches in the OBX with a small boat. There are many wrecks in 20' of water off some beaches. Go across the BBT from VB, there are some nice sunken bargs that hold alot of fish with visibility to 20' during the fall.

All I know about the Bay comes from a patient of mine who was in the underwater demolition team in Vietnam. I asked him the deepest he had ever been......he said " during training we went solo to about 300 feet in Chesapeake Bay, the last 100 were in muck."

I think he was pulling your inflator about the depth.

Wiki says 200 feet. Regardless, it does make a good story coming from the UDT. As a member of that elite group (yep they evolved into SEALS) it was just stated as a fact, no brag. Can anyone tell me how deep the silt (no, not HERE, in The Bay) actually goes?

Sounds like an upper bay issue as well as river mouths where there is alot of erosion going into the bay.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom