Diving in the San Diego area for the month of Oct

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

swimmer_spe

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I will be in San Diego off and on throughout Oct and Nov. Are there any really good diving sites that are considered 'must dives'?

I currently do not know what days I would be able to do it yet.

Do any of the dive shops have drop ins?

I am OWC from Canada.

There are a few sites in San Diego that are great! Feel free to email me at: KAYAKDVR@yahoo.com for info and rates for Discover Local Diving guided tours.

Otherwise:
La Jolla Shores - Flat sandy bottom sloping gradually for 250 yards then the La Jolla Canyon. Anything could pop up or pass you
Marine Room Canyon - Similar
Marine Room Reefs - Shallow with lots of rocky reef, grasses, fish, sharks, rays.
The Cove - Steep steps, soft sandy entry and exit that may floor you, beautiful, HEAVY with uric acid from birds, sea lions, seals, etc.

Check Power Scuba for their October activities. Free to join, all activities are not-for-profit, very supportive and a fun group.

Dive boat day trip operators:
Marissa Dive Charters.
Lois Ann Dive Charters.
Waterhorse Charters.

I would characterize the HMCS Yukon as a local "Must-dive," especially for a Canadian diver. It's only accessible by boat, but it's a real short ride. The other wrecks in "Wreck Alley" all have their interesting points as well.

Sure to be as many opinions on San Diego diving as there are San Diego divers...

Last edited:
Dive shops in San Diego do not operate boats - boat operators largely do not have shops. Make sure you're accounting for that. The Catalina Dive park is (conservatively) half a day's travel from San Diego in each direction so make sure you account for that as well. Personally, I would skip the dive park. If you're going to dive Catalina do it from a boat. Similarly, if you're going to dive San Diego do it from a boat.

I will be in SD between 8 Oct and 10 Oct. If you are in town during that time and need a buddy, PM me. I am looking at the Waterhorse charter on 9 October, 3 tank Yukon and kelp. I will be new to diving SD, but cannot wait. The boat needs 6 to go out, right now there is me :-(

Diving SD from shore can be great scenery w sea lions, rays, sharks, etc w ok visibility or it can be very bland W poor vis. A small swell can make the LJ Cove vis drop to 5 feet -as in yesterday, dive plans scrapped. . And don't forgot its cold water here in So Cal, 52 degrees in the canyon last week despite surface temps of 65/ water, 75/ air.
Diving conditions are reported daily via this recorded message for the La Jolla area: 619-221-8824.
Having said that I would tell my visiting diver friends to dive the LJ Shores canyon, LJ Cove, and the Yukon ( boat dive) . The LaJolla dives are rewarding night dives. Local divers will go to Catalina or one of the Channel Islands for more animal life, better visibility. It's just not close or convenient. PowerScsuba does have a trip there Nov 1 with openings .......

I am visiting SD in October as well, from the northeastern US, so the replies in this thread so far are helpful.

I have my AOW and ~20 dives in cold water. However my SO is not OW certified. He did DSD once and couldn't get down because he couldn't equalize his ears, hasn't had a chance to try it again or do OW. My SO and I are going on the trip together, and he really wants to give it another try. Are there any kind of diving activities we could do together (with an instructor or something)? Worst case scenario we could snorkel together. Or I will have to go diving without him, but we would prefer to be together.
If this question is too off-topic I can move it to another thread.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom