Diving in Vietnam

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sisid marino

Reaction score
Hi guys, im headed w friends to Ho Chi Minh end of the month for a short holiday. Was thinking of breaking from the group (as im the lone diver) first day and travel up Nha Trang for a day of diving and back to Ho Chi Minh in no time so i wont be labelled "anti-social" by my friends.... anybody can advise me, based on experience and knowledge, the fastest yet practical way to head up there and get back in 2 days time? I have contacted Rainbow about the dives and was advised to take flight to Nha Trang; 2 dives the following day then night time grab the train back to the capital. Any better suggestions and advises would be well appreciated.

Thanks in advance....

Jon

Sorry I can't answer your question but please tell your friends that, by not diving, they are being very anti-social. :wink:

if you can fly great, if not go to any of the travel agents in HCMC and get a bus straight there.
I havent dived there but i have snorkled and IMO is aint all that.

Diving in Nha Trang isn't spectacular but Rainbow give an excellent service and you will see the best there is to offer. Big boulders, swim throughs, and interesting stuff like leaf fish, nudibranchs etc on the slightly smaller scale.

But - you are missing a trick. Nha Trang is a great place. Why don't all of you to go up to Nha Trang. Lots of inexpensive but OK places to stay. It is a bustling place with lots to do and see. Bars - yes - go to Crazy Kims, and of course Rainbow's own bar. We were there in summer 2004 and the town was busy through the night and well into the next day. Spectacular historical sights and things to go and see - yes lots - just for a morning or a whole day or even overnight. Very easy to organise. Places to eat - good, cheap food - check out the free Darlat "wine" (don't strike a match) at Cafe des Amis and the spring rolls that look like silk cocoons and taste amazing. And then there are the coffee shops - historical meeting places for Nha Trang residents. And did I mention the funfair? Haven't seen anything like that in years.

There are some good web-sites with panoramic views of Nha Trang.

So you dive and your mates can have a really good time as well.

If you're going for a short holiday, I'd stay in the south and skip the diving. If you're travelling by bus in Vietnam, it can be extremely slow and very uncomfortable. Don't expect the luxuries of the Thai highways and bus systems. More importantly, the diving is just not worth it. If you were in Nha Trang, I'd say go for it but I certainly wouldn't travel exclusively to dive unless dead coral gets your goat.

after all the researches and advises, think im dropping the idea of diving and just join my friends at HCMC.... way i see it, not as practical to travel up north for a day of diving.....

thanks for the advises guys

jiveturkey:
If you're going for a short holiday, I'd stay in the south and skip the diving. If you're travelling by bus in Vietnam, it can be extremely slow and very uncomfortable. Don't expect the luxuries of the Thai highways and bus systems. More importantly, the diving is just not worth it. If you were in Nha Trang, I'd say go for it but I certainly wouldn't travel exclusively to dive unless dead coral gets your goat.

Hi Jiveturkey !
Have ever you been to Vietnam ? Have ever you been diving in NhaTrang - Vietnam ? If that is the case, why did you say like that ?NhaTrang have 10 dive center,16+ dive sites with over 350 different coral,also various and rich underwater life.Why can you to define like that ?If many "dead coral " gets your goat , you can see our pic in attach file :05: Hope you will think better about NhaTrang and Vietnam.

And with sisid marino : Rainbow is good dive center in NhaTrang and our club ,too .Hope you have second thoughts and go diving in NhaTrang.Maybe you don't like diving in NhaTrang but you can to go for a sightseeing .NhaTrang is good destination for travellers ,cheap and nice.Welcome to you !

Many thanks for yours time .

hi bluediving club..... thanks for the enlightenment, but my only concern is time; time i have for my vietnam trip and time to travel up nha trang and back.... other than that, maybe i have dived better reefs than what u could offer but still, i want to experience diving there.... not unless u have a better solution/advise as not to take up to much time, think its impractical...

thanks!

jon

BlueDivingClub:
Hi Jiveturkey !
Have ever you been to Vietnam ? Have ever you been diving in NhaTrang - Vietnam ? If that is the case, why did you say like that ?NhaTrang have 10 dive center,16+ dive sites with over 350 different coral,also various and rich underwater life.Why can you to define like that ?If many "dead coral " gets your goat , you can see our pic in attach file :05: Hope you will think better about NhaTrang and Vietnam.

And with sisid marino : Rainbow is good dive center in NhaTrang and our club ,too .Hope you have second thoughts and go diving in NhaTrang.Maybe you don't like diving in NhaTrang but you can to go for a sightseeing .NhaTrang is good destination for travellers ,cheap and nice.Welcome to you !

Many thanks for yours time .
Yes, I've been to Vietnam twice in the last 3 years. I dove with Coco divers in Nha Trang. You know, the old French guy with the 2 rotweiler dogs. I work in Korea so it allows me to travel a lot. And no, I wasn't impressed with the diving. Obviously you have a business to promote and you have some nice pictures but I'm not convinced.

Sisid, you're better off exploriing the south and enjoying the 4000 dong beer hoi.

sisid marino:
hi bluediving club..... thanks for the enlightenment, but my only concern is time; time i have for my vietnam trip and time to travel up nha trang and back.... other than that, maybe i have dived better reefs than what u could offer but still, i want to experience diving there.... not unless u have a better solution/advise as not to take up to much time, think its impractical...

thanks!

jon

Hi Marino

Many thanks for your time.It's only my introduce about NhaTrang :05: We have many dive sites with many kind corals,fishes and reefs.Hope to see you'll go to NhaTrang and diving in the near future ( when you have time eyebrow )
Good luck to you
Merry X'mas and Happy New Year !

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom