Diving in Yucatan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ohad121

New
Reaction score
Hi!
I am planning to travel in Mexico (Yucatan - Cancun, Playa, Cozumel, Isla) in October.
I plan to dive and I would like to know details about recommended places for diving in the area.

In addition, I would like to know if I should take before the trip a one star diving course (20 Meters deep), or as a beginner I'll still see enough things (6 Meters deep)?

Thank you very much!!

If you intend to dive in Cozumel, I would highly recommend taking the additional course. There aren't a lot of dives where you could stay to 6 meters of depth. In fact, the reefs I've dived off the mainland were at or below that depth as well. It wouldn't be a bad idea to have some additional experience, anyway; Cozumel diving is drift diving, and currents can be pretty strong.

There is diving up and down the coast, from Cancun to Tulum and below. Cozumel is unique in having the huge reef structures offshore, with dramatic walls, but the healthy reefs off the mainland are beautiful as well. Healthy reefs aren't everywhere, though -- my one experience diving off Akumal was very disappointing, with algae-covered coral and not a lot of life. I have subsequently done several dives off Puerto Aventuras (just a few miles north) which were gorgeous, so the damage is spotty.

If you are interested in Mexico itself, you are probably better off basing on the mainland. You have easier access to the Mayan ruins at Tulum and Coba that way (and they are well worth the visit). You also have the possibility of visiting the Sian Ka'an Biosphere Reserve, which is a huge National Park. If you're solely interested in a diving vacation, you may prefer Coz, which is pretty much set up as a diving destination.

I agree with TSandM- the 6 meter course isn't going to allow you to do much in Cozumel (not sure if it would get you much anywhere- even our local mudhole is 9 meters). I don't go below 23 meters, and often the group was below me. A shallow site like Columbia Shallows is around 10 meters deep.

I agree with the others, get an open water certification before going. Also, investigate Akumal- as a new diver its very user friendly. Also, its a good place to get certified if you want to do it on your trip. Check out the Akumal Dive Shop. Akumal is about 110 kilometers south of Cancun. on south of PDC.
DivemasterDennis

I'll still see enough things (6 Meters deep)?

That's basically less than snorkeling depth, get your Open Water dive certification before you go or do it there. There will be nobody diving at only 6 meter dive sites there is no such thing, you will have to hire a private dive master on all dives to dive like that to stay with you while the rest of the divers do the normal dive depth. Typical dives in Mexico are 20 - 40 meters deep. If you want to be in the water at 6 meters or less just snorkel, no training required.

This is mexico. Will they distinguish between a 6 and a 20 meter card. The usual OW card in the US is 60 ft or about 20 meters. I am not aware of a card that lets you dive by yourself but only to 20 ft.

There are a number of shallow reefs off cancun. There was enough life to keep me amused.

Steve- our op did still check we had c cards and med forms, so I'm not sure they are so "no problem" that they let someone who isn't really certified dive.

But 20 meters, 30 meters, eh, whatever.

This is mexico. Will they distinguish between a 6 and a 20 meter card. The usual OW card in the US is 60 ft or about 20 meters. I am not aware of a card that lets you dive by yourself but only to 20 ft.

There are a number of shallow reefs off cancun. There was enough life to keep me amused.
Agree, what agency gives a 6 meter certification? When you do a discover scuba/resort dive they take you to 30 feet ~ 10 meters. That is deep enough for some of the shallow reefs and the museum in Cancun.

I was diving with an op in Cancun. One afternoon they were taking a fellow on a discover scuba. I tagged along. They kept the discover guy out over the sand along a reef. I swam around on the reef proper keeping them in view. Fair number of interesting tropicals and corals. Very good viz. Probably 80 or so feet. Pleasant dive.

Hi my we can offer you any kind costume and private services from diving, snorkeling,tours, rental vacation on the riviera maya, wedding or event planer

private guide for diving or snorkeling at playa del carmen, cozumel, cenote, cavern, mangrove, cave, turtle,reef, dune buggy, whale sharks, jungle trip, eco park, mayan ruins

private concierge for the check in check out at your condo or villa

you can contact me frank bizier +52 1 984 807 0936

check out this link for more info, pictures, videos,web sites, pdf, description in english and french

tours guidés sur mesure riviera maya playa del carmen | Rivieramayaplayadelcarmen

Frank Bizier

Président de la chambre de commerce Québécoise de la Riviera Maya
Website | Facebook

Enjoy Riviera maya | Web site Youtube | Facebook

Mariages Mayas | Website | Facebook

Playa Del Carmen Condos | Website | Facebook

Courriel : scubafrancois@gmail.com
Cellulaire: +52 1 984 807 0936

thank you

Back
Top Bottom