Diving info for visitors in and around Dubai

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Aquarium is probably the only place with decent viz in UAE.

Best to head up to Musandam or south to Oman and dive the Damaniyats

I wouldn't dive in the Dubai Mall aquarium if you paid me, but then I have principles.

Its overstocked and don't even get me started on the Underwater Zoo, the whole place is disgusting and any divers associated with it should be ashamed of themselves.

Run by Al Boom of course :roll:

Surprised by the glowing reports about this dive shop, with my own experience five years ago I would not dive with them again, and from what I heard recently they have not improved.

Freestyle and Divers Down are probably the best on the east coast, and I would not even bother diving the west coast

Yeah, Al Doom.

I've found Freestyle to be excellent. There is also Nomad which is just over the border in Musandam just down from the Dibba/Daba port area. Very nice set up with great value accommodation thrown in as well.

Hi Benzonar,

Thanks for the tip about Nomad, do they do Musandam trips by Dhow or small speedboat?

They tend to be by Speedboat - I know they occasionally do Dhow trips but the speedboat trips tend to be more popular.

I may be spending some time in Al Ain, what is best to hit starting from there? I'm mainly a wreck and photo diver.

Hi Gilldiver,

Well Al Ain is pretty much land locked, so you can drive to Dubai or Abu Dhabi for diving in the Gulf.

Not too sure which company to recommend from Abu Dhabi as it has been years since I dived from there and that was on a private boat anyway. From Dubai I would recommend Pavilion Divers who operate from Jumeirah Beach Hotel. Few wrecks in the gulf, but viz may only be 1M!

Al Ain is fairly close to Oman, in fact right on the border, so my personal choice would be to go to either Muscat and dive around there or Al Suwaidi Beach Resort just north of Muscat to dive the Damaniyat Islands (in fact this is closer)

East coast of UAE will probably take you as long to drive as it is to Muscat.

Divers Down are in Khorfakkan with some mediocre diving, and Freestyle are a bit further north next to Dibba rock.

Let me know when you pitch up, although I travel a lot with my job, I might manage something provided I am not flying immediately afterwards.

FairyBasset,

Thanks for this information. I may (probably will) be spending a couple of months in Dubai for my work and I was looking for general information as a starting off spot. As usual, whatever you need you can find on Scubaboard!

I do have a couple of follow up questions, though. If anyone can give me specific information about dive sites, especially about the wrecks (I love wrecks!) then I would be thankful. I would be looking for information about dive profiles and suggestions regarding interresting "don't miss" wrecks that could be done as a day-trip.

Thanks in advance,

R..

having spent a few months in Dubai for work a few year back,,, i'd avoid Al Doom like the plague....

Absolutly average setup that caters and sets themselves up for entry level divers with less than 100 dives under their belt... Absoltly regretted every minute with them, plus their practices actually made me concerned about how they think of their customers...

However, if you're spending any time there, join up with these guys for GREAT diving and a really social bunch of people:

:: Scuba Diving at DSDC in Dubai :: BSAC 1339 ::

and the only dive shop i'd reccommend, as they are the only ones who actually seemed competant in what they are doing is Scuba Dubai:

:: scubadubai.com ::

Back
Top Bottom