Diving instructor Stole our money!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

And hopefully, thanks to you, the other party will also remember this experience the next time they offer a course.

Thanks for the advice usmc88fan - It has been resolved now so thats that, hopefully. I don't believe that the instructor is inherently a bad guy but it seems like he has got himself into some kind financial troubles an that's why he did what he did. He put things right eventually though and as much as I won't be recommend his services, I do hope that he gets back on his feet and get his business running profitably (and legitimately)

---------- Post Merged at 01:12 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 12:49 AM ----------

That PADI did not get involved in this more than they did is not unexpected. And frankly they should not as they are not a law enforcement agency. They are a for profit corporation that in essence allows a person to use their name and materials for a fee. Your beef is not with them.

On PADIs involvement, I have to say that they did try to assist and put pressure on the instructor to rectify the situation and my intention was never to get at PADI as such. To some extent PADIs involvement was probably a major factor in the matter being resolved. I was just surprised that they didn't seem to have a huge problem with someone using their name to potentially swindle customers. They seemed very eager to give the instructor the benefit of the doubt but then again it is the Professional Association of Diving Instructors and as mediators they were probably trying to be objective.

There were reasons given by the instructor for why he had to cancel the course initially but PADI would not confirm whether these were valid or not and the perceived lack of transparency that this created didn't fill us with much confidence and only added to our frustration. But as you say maybe it is not for PADI to get involved in these kinds of issues and maybe my girlfriend and I had the wrong idea about what PADI's role should be.

Anyway its behind us now and as I said in an earlier post I really hope the instructor can get his business together and make a decent and honest living out of his diving instructing, just so long as he does't try to pull a similar 'move' on any more of his customers.

WOW, this is an eye-opener! I'm so sorry for your experience, and as a PADI-certified diver WANNABE I find this especially upsetting. I have done searches for NAUI instructors in my area and got nothing, so I've been just assuming that PADI was the largest and BEST certifying agency.

Guess I'll just open my eyes a little WIDER as I go into this upcoming training, and be just that much more inquisitive when it comes to finding an instructor... I hope you find a positive resolution to this!

LSF :idk:

And hopefully, thanks to you, the other party will also remember this experience the next time they offer a course.

I hope so and thank you for your advice and comments

---------- Post Merged at 01:26 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 01:17 AM ----------

AndrewMel,

Just so we are all clear on understanding....the course was cancelled and no refund offered. That is clear from your post. However, was there an offer to reschedule the course?

Bill

I take your point that there is always two sides to a story and yes there was an offer to reschedule but unfortunately we wouldn't have been able to reschedule the course until early next year due to leave constraints hence the reason why we asked to be refunded. We were also aware of other divers who had been asked to reschedule their courses and then been unable to reach the instructor to reschedule... so we were wary of agreeing to that option.

WOW, this is an eye-opener! I'm so sorry for your experience, and as a PADI-certified diver WANNABE I find this especially upsetting. I have done searches for NAUI instructors in my area and got nothing, so I've been just assuming that PADI was the largest and BEST certifying agency.

Guess I'll just open my eyes a little WIDER as I go into this upcoming training, and be just that much more inquisitive when it comes to finding an instructor... I hope you find a positive resolution to this!

LSF :idk:

As you will find out the more you get into diving the more you'll realize that big doesn't have the least little bit to do with the best. Only that they have a good marketing program. McDonalds is huge. But after spending a little time dating someone who knows about nutrition, there's no way in hell I will eat there. There is a thread in the new divers forum on finding an excellent scuba class and I have an entire chapter on how to interview an instructor in the book I published last year and still have available.
Courses, instructors, and especially agencies are not all the same. Basic Open Water classes have stark differences as to content. Before signing anything you should carefullt research them and take nothing for granted.
Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

AndrewMel,

Thanks for answering my question.

Glad to hear that you got things resolved.

Bill

Back
Top Bottom