Diving inverted profiles?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Having done alot of reverse profile repetitive diving on air and mixed gasses I can tell you that you are all in the right in your thinking. Pushing the limits does not make it right. We do it occassionally for specific reasons.
The real considerations are shorter bottom times, exceeding NDL based on your computer model.
Reality is kind of simple; If you dive your deeper dives 1st you actually continue to off gas to a degree on subsequent dives at shallower depths. Reversing the profile the opposite happens. You cease to off gas.

While there are certainly good reasons to do standard repetitive dive profiles, I often find myself doing reverse profiles when I dive depending on the dive site selection by the captain or the subject matter I encounter while diving. These dives frequently involve deco, but I am extremely conservative on my deco stops... the advance of a sloping bottom topography where subjects to film can be found anywhere throughout the dive profile.

It's common practice at many tourist locations to do reverse profiles on the first day of the week's diving. This is to let the arriving divers get acclimatised on a simpler dive before taking them on a deeper one.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom