Diving location suggestion

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jwarner, good diving was really important to Vanay. Where will your group be diving in Costa Rica?

It's not clear how many dives you and your family have and how confident everyone is. If anyone is inexperienced or not confident some of the places mentioned could be a bit much. The currents in parts of Indonesia and Palau can be pretty strong for example.

I love diving the east coast of Peninsular Malaysia (particularly Redang) and June/July is the best time to dive there. You could do a few days there to get a few dives under your belts in easy conditions then hop on over to Borneo, have a few days off diving to see wildlife/orangutans then carry on to Sipadan for something a bit more challenging? If I was you I'd put together the following itinerary:

Day 1-4: diving in Redang
Day 5: travel to Borneo
Day 6-7: see orangutans/other wildlife and chill out a bit
Day 8: travel to Sipadan area
Day 9-12: Dive Sipadan, Mabul, etc.
Day 13: surface interval relaxing at the beach resorts near Sipadan
Day 14: travel home

Malaysia is a pretty cheap country to travel in, especially if you book in advance. Sipada would probably be the most costly out of everything. Not having dived there myself I can't tell you how much it would be but I think it's worth looking into!

I personally find diving really tiring hence why I suggested the break to recharge a bit between locations.

here are my thoughts... sorry folks.

Liveaboard = No freakin' way I would put 2 teenagers onboard a boat for even 1 week with a dozen adults. That would be insane. At sea, no place to get away but their cabin. You would have a mutiny.

I would go with a land-based trip. Do your diving daily and still give the teens a little space to be teens. There are dozens of places to go.
Even though you have a large budget, I would not spend that.
You could go to Cozumel, do a nice All-inclusive (yes, I would do that as food is unlimited and teens eat constantly!). They have pools and a beach.
That way you could do a week there, diving every day, then maybe a few days over on the mainland doing Mayan ruins like Chichen Itza, some cenotes, etc. Maybe even do a day of diving in the cenotes. You could do all that for under $20k for 4 people.

Just my 2 cents.

Back
Top Bottom