Diving near or from Jakarta?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Alexandra

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am heading to Jakarta on 9/23 (arrive late 9/24) and will be there a week for business. I do have a free day on arrival and 2-3 days at the end where I would love to get in as much diving as possible.

Given the short time frame, I would like to avoid flying out to Bali so I need something as local as possible. I understand Thousand Islands are great and a few hours from Jakarta but was surprised that they only offer 2 dives / day. It seems crazy to lug all my dive gear around the world for just 4 dives.

Any suggestions - recommended dive organization/shops?

thanks
Alexandra

Mostly people in jakarta spend their time underwater during week end - or extra cost if you wish to dive during week day. The bad news, thousand islands is always crowded on weekend; accomodation is very expensive if you can get it - and in my opinion diving there is is just okay or good at further north sites.
On the local diving forum Redirecting..., there's offer 1 day trip LOB MV Putri Krakatoa to 1000 island, Rp. 890,000 for 3x dives. Not sure if this offer valid for non-local. Just contact them.
Other alternative is shangyang and tempuyungan, acces from Paku port - Merak (1 hour drive early morning + 3 hours drive back to jakarta). Big school of massive bumphead parrot fish (40-50) is frequenly reported at tempuyungan, but be prepare for some current.

You can also check with dive centers such as seapearl, kristal klear dive, bubble, ody - they may have regular dive trip to 1000 islands, merak, krakatau or ujung kulon. The owner of seapearl is member of this forum

I guess trying to combine diving with a business trip is never easy. As it turns out there are very few options of diving near Jakarta. Thousand Islands was pretty much the only choice and not only is it apparently quite crowded and not the best diving anyway, but it is a 2hr boat ride to and from Jakarta and costs about $110 for 2 dives. Also, since I am alone, I am running into having to pay for 3 people as that is most reservations minimum making the price ridiculous.

I unfortunately do not have the time to fly somewhere from here for better diving so I am going to have to skip it entirely this trip. oh well

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom