Diving near Semiahmoo (Blaine, WA)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Phoebastria

Registered
Reaction score
Missoula, MT, USA (or Hanalei, Kauai, HI)
# of dives
25 - 49
I'm headed to a conference at Semiahmoo at the end of February (with my dive buddy) and would love to get in the water while we're there. We've dove off Seattle and the San Juan Islands so we're comfortable in cold water but I don't see any spots up there at least listed on shorediving.com. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Nothing at Semiahmoo, unless you like mud.

Google diving in Bellingham, there are a couple of dive shops there. Most diving is out in the islands from Friday Harbor/Anacortes, or down to Whidbey island. Or north to Weyclif park north of Vancouver; charters up there as well.

You can see some trip reports and photos on my blog (link below).

Jack

semiahmoo is ultra shallow mud...

i went to an amazon off-site up there a couple years ago and had the same thought, but if you look at the depths and the bottom up there its all just shallow muddy muck for hundreds of yards...

No diving at the resort nothing but mud go north to Whitecliff or Portue Cove just west of N. Vancover or south to Whidbey Is. When in Feb. are you going to be in the P.N.W.?
Doug

woooooo, no diving at Semiahmoo, i beg to differ

There are a few shore sites at the resort, nothing amazing but there is some cool stuff.

1st when your driving out on the spit to the resort, look to your north, about 300 yards off shore youll notice some large pilings sticking out of the water. There is a 140' old fishing boat out there. Its pretty decayed but its still a large hull out there and its pretty cool.

the down side is you have to swim way out there, but if you choose to go just swim out to those pilings and i belive start at the far north west piling and drop down, you should almost hit it. its only about 20' deep there and you may even kick the ship on your way out, if your there on a low tide you may even see a few ribs poking out.

the other cool site is right at the resort. when your standing in front of the resort to your east there will be an old cannary towards the east, if you enter the water under the dock out there and head under the cannary youll find all kinds of cool stuff, old equiptment etc. Also ive seen dogsharks, large skates, some fish and lots of seals.

Also you could probobly grab some crab along the way.

If you have a good chunk of time i would reccomend heading to Vancover and diving some of the sites around there, youll easily find plenty of shore diving that is really good. Or head over to vancover isle. and dive some of the ships over there.

let us know how it went

jumbo

Just a quick update to this older thread. I'm out here for a work event as well. I've always wanted to know what was under the pilings under the old cannery, so I threw my gear in the car for this trip. Had a nice pleasant dive last night. As was mentioned above, it's not spectacular, but still quite enjoyable. The pilings had lots of life on them, saw plenty of sculpins, kelp perch, a cresent gunnel, and even a few sturgeon poachers.

Lauri

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom