Diving near Waco?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chenry

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello,

I was hoping you Texas divers could help me out with a few questions. I will be working in Waco for approx 1 month starting next week. I would like to take my dive gear and get some diving in on the weekends if I can. I'm not really sure of any dive spots within driving distance of Waco, I have probably just not found the right resources yet. Texas is a big state. I plan on finding a LDS and asking them when I get there, but you guys can probably give me some info before I go. I am new to diving and have new gear which I need to get accustomed to, so I am looking for easy relaxing dives to work on my buoyancy issues, and air consumption rate. I wil most likely try to hook up with an LDS to go diving with if that is an option.

Also, I'm coming from Indiana, and I'm not sure what kind of exposure protection I would need in Texas lakes/quarrys. I have full 7mm gear, farmer john, gloves, boots, hood. Is that too much, or do you think it will be ok for thermoclines? I'm pretty sure I won't have time to go to the gulf coast.

Thanks
Chris

Lake Travis, just south of Waco, Windy point and mansfield dam park both have diving, dive shops near by, the only one I know of is dive world, 3mil will keep you good to around 40~50 feet out there, north there is Clear Springs scuba park, www.clearspringsscubapark.com, my two favorite local holes.

I've never been to stillhouse, what are its stats and attractions, I read something about houses being under it?

Lake Whitney is north of Waco. There is pretty good diving there, I've heard.

chenry:
Hello,

I was hoping you Texas divers could help me out with a few questions. I will be working in Waco for approx 1 month starting next week. I would like to take my dive gear and get some diving in on the weekends if I can. I'm not really sure of any dive spots within driving distance of Waco, I have probably just not found the right resources yet. Texas is a big state. I plan on finding a LDS and asking them when I get there, but you guys can probably give me some info before I go. I am new to diving and have new gear which I need to get accustomed to, so I am looking for easy relaxing dives to work on my buoyancy issues, and air consumption rate. I wil most likely try to hook up with an LDS to go diving with if that is an option.

Also, I'm coming from Indiana, and I'm not sure what kind of exposure protection I would need in Texas lakes/quarrys. I have full 7mm gear, farmer john, gloves, boots, hood. Is that too much, or do you think it will be ok for thermoclines? I'm pretty sure I won't have time to go to the gulf coast.

Thanks
Chris

Lake Travis is about two hours south on I-35, take the Hwy 620 exit. After passing Hwy 183 about a mile or two on the left is Dive World 1 and about another two miles on the right is Dive World 2. They can give you directions to Windy Point. Here is their website, www.diveworldaustin.com so that you can look at the water temps. Unless you go below 50 to 60 feet then as you can see the water is very warm this time of year. If you dive here or over at Mansfield Dam park on the weekend, the vis will be lower due to the amount of students in the water. Platforms are available at different depths and I will try to post the website for the park. Entry is $10 on the weekend and $5 during the week.
Let everyone know that you want to come down and I am sure that someone will be available to lead you around.
Dan

www.windypointpark.com

Here is the website for Windy Point. Great people.
As you can see from the Dive World website, the water temp is hot. You would probably be okay without a wetsuit at all and certainly no more than a skin. I dove a week ago with a 3 mm and it felt good to get down.

What part of Indiana? I live in Southern Indiana for eight years. Floyds Knobs.
Let me know and if I am in town I would love to dive with you. I am relatively new also and can always use bouyancy work.

Dan

Thanks for all the info and suggestions. Hopefully the work schedule wil allow me to check some of these places out :)

I just checked that windy point website... 70 degrees at 60'. Last time I went diving here it was 54 degrees at 45'. If this is typical of the areas around Waco, I guess I better leave the 7mm at home. That will make for easier travelling anyway.

AggieDad - I live in a small town near Columbus and Seymour. It's about an hour from Indianapolis, Lousville, or Cincinnati. I've been to Floyyd Knobs a few times years ago, from what I can remember, its a pretty nice area.

Thanks
Chris

ScubaTexan:
Lake Whitney is north of Waco. There is pretty good diving there, I've heard.

There is only one LDS in Waco, Lake Air Scuba Center, 430 Lake Air Dr (254)399-0126, between Waco Drive and Sanger Ave. Call them before you go out there because I think their hours of operation may vary a bit.

As far as Lake Whitney goes .................. well it's water! Dove at Scuba Point on June 25th and can't say enought about how nice and helpful the guys at the dive shop are, but............ the vis was maybe 3-5', there was a therocline at 20' and a major thermocline at 35'. At 35' it got so dark you had to have a light. It was a great place for the Rescue Class, but not a great recreational dive site. I've dove Whitney for years, and back in the 80's the vis was great. I've watched it decline over the years. The vis did get better around 35', but I was in a 3ml and it was too cold for me. There is a sunken speedboat and 50' barge laying in about 70' of water, so if you can handle the cold and have your light .............. go for it. There is also an old Grist Mill that the shop dives from time to time and are always looking for people to go out and dive it. My understanding is that it sits at 65' - 80'. They can tell you more about it at the dive shop there at Scuba Point, Loafers Bend near the dam.

Many Texas divers wear only a 3mm in the lakes/quarries/rivers during the summer, but some still wear their 7mm in summer, especially in spring fed lakes like Clear Springs. Have a great time in Texas, hope you get in some good dives!
Foo

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom