Diving NJ after Sandy ...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CAPTAIN SINBAD

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Firstly, I just hope that every one here is doing fine after the storm and no one has been strongly affected in any way.

Secondly ... I was planning to do my first NJ dives during November sometime. It seems that a lot of dirt has been stirred all over the ocean floor and it could take many days for it to settle down and the vis to come back to normal. This is causing me to push the dives to December. If any of the locals could post a dive report here I would greatly appreciate it.

Regards -

Sinbad

I doubt you will see any reports for weeks to come. The barrier islands, where the dive boats and marina are, have been devastated. Residents are just now being allowed to return and look at their property, assess damage, etc. December may be optimistic.

I doubt you will see any reports for weeks to come. The barrier islands, where the dive boats and marina are, have been devastated. Residents are just now being allowed to return and look at their property, assess damage, etc. December may be optimistic.

Im so sorry to hear this man. I can only pray that things become easy for those who were in the line of this storm. Thanks for the update.

I would be surprised if any boats go out at all off of NJ for the rest of the year. Like SeaCobra was saying, this storm was really devastating to the Jersey shore.

I'm going to try and head out into the local rivers once things around the first aid squad slow down a little and can post a review/video. Granted it'll be shore dives, not sure what access is going to be like at the local inlets. I was out with the squad during the storm and after and saw a lot of the damage first hand with tons of debris crashing around in the surf as of wednesday morning around 0500.

Manasquan Inlet was hit pretty hard, the cement bathroom building is gone to give you an idea of the power of this storm.

I would try giving a few places a call, I drive past Aardvark in brick frequently, but the times I do they are usually closed. They may still be without power though. I don't have high hopes for Atlantic Spear and Scuba in Point Pleasant Beach being open but again I would suggest calling. This area was hit pretty hard.

I was planning on a number of Nov. and Dec. Inlet and Beach Dives this year, not happening now though. It's not the visability but the logistics of getting there, some barrier islands are still unaccessable to residents! Theres likely still debris close to shore and trash that has washed down from New York (hundreds of unprotected sewer and storm outlets) Think all the stuff that closes beaches and you'll get the idea. Best to let mother nature run her spin cycle for a few months to clean things up and wait for spring/summer next year.

I'm looking forward local diving next year even more though! No telling what you'll find on the bottom now...

I was in the water this past Saturday and Sunday, vis is about 6 - 12 inches in the manasquan river. Water is about 51 degrees.

The amount of debris and filthy run-off will keep inshore visibility very limited for quite a few more weeks, which will put us into very, very cold water temps.

Aardvark in Brick is open for business.

Back
Top Bottom