Diving off the beaten track on the Philippines

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cullinan

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hey Divers,

We are planning to fly to the Philippines on April 14th 2010 for about 6 weeks. Main reason for flying there is to go scuba diving a lot. :)

We don't wanna go island hopping so much, rather stay in a place for 2 weeks and then move on to the next. Since we travel on a budget we're looking for a more backpacker style of accomodation and also reasonable dive rates.

We were looking into the Visayas (Malascua Island), perhaps you have some other ideas? We are super flexible, no domestic flights booked yet. We thought of not going to Puerto Galera, though. This place seems to be too close to Manila and so overrun (or is that not true?) and too touristy.

Definetly we also want to go to Busanga Island for some wreck diving, that's a must! And we might look into a trip to the Tubbataha-Reef, even though that might not be backpacker-style. :)

Thanks for some ideas and tipps,

Cheers,
Konstantin & Jasmin

Kevster has the latest trip reports on your choice of dive sites:

Puerto Galera, Anilao and Coron

Cabilao, Alona Beach and Malapascua

Donsol and Boracay

You might want to copy his itinerary :D

Puerto Galera may be overrun by tourists but you can't go wrong with diving there. We stayed in Sha Che Inn (definitely for backpackers) and dived with Asia Divers

In Coron (Busuanga), we stayed and dived with Discovery Divers

Haven't dived in Malapascua yet but we booked in Dano Resort and will be diving with evolution divers

and you're right, Tubbataha is a bit tricky to reach - backpacker style. unless there's like 10++ of you who can hire a boat to get you there, it really is not that feasible.

hope that helps :)

for puerto galera, seariders has backpacker rates but great service. its right beside sha che inn. just came back from there this afternoon. sha-che actually has better rooms (IMHO) than Portefino and Banana Moon. there are other even lower priced rooms there and mark of seariders can help you book them.

I am based on Malapascua so I am going to recommend it. Its not technically 'off the beaten track' but when you walk off the main beach for about 50 metres I can assure you The Philippines doesn't get realer then this! And it's getting quieter here now too.

Diving is excellent at the moment - Threshers of course, lots of White Tips in Gato but macro is where its at. Flamboyant Cuttlefish, blue ring Octopus and mating Pleurobranchus Grandis this week alone.

There is decent wreck diving here - the Dona Marylin is worthy of several dives. We have the Japanese wreck for tech divers too.

PM me for any help you might want and happy decision making.

Hey Guys,

Thanks for all your recommendations and information about the different dive spots on the Philippines. The island of our choice will be Malapascua. We'll be there on April 15th, looking forward to go diving!!! We'll probably stay there about 2 weeks and hope to get some more ideas there where to go next. :) We have 6 weeks to spend on the Philippines...

Safe diving,
Jasmin & Konstantin

If you really want "off the beaten track diving" and if you have already chosen Malapascua as your starting point I would recommend adding a couple of the following to your itenerary....
1. Camotes---I think there are only one or two dive centers
2. Siquijor--- several dive centers but will give you that feeling of being an explorer when you tour around the island
3. APO Island--- two dive centers but the island transports you to a feeling being in another time and place.
4. Siargao----I have not been there but I understand that it is still pretty pristine.
5. PANAY---- I have not been there and not sure about backpacker prices availability.

Good Luck

Puerto Galera may be overrun by tourists but you can't go wrong with diving there. We stayed in Sha Che Inn (definitely for backpackers) and dived with Asia Divers

I did the scuba backpacker tour of the Philippines for 5 weeks last summer.

Agreed PG is not very expensive but enjoyed some other places better. Asia Divers is a good shop, Action Divers is low key and a little less expensive but a tight shop. Last summer it was managed by a technical dive instructor who I assume is still there. Found very inexpensive accommodations with a kitchen just behind the shop & down one of the walkways.

If you like wreck diving Coron is fantastic and I second Discovery Divers! You can rent a place in town long term and save a bundle although it is not the most relaxing town.

Apo Island is paradise if you like the cast away small native village feeling. Check with Liberty Lodge about renting a simple wooden hut in the village for the backpackers (way-off-the-beaten-path-experience :).

If I recall correctly, using your own gear diving averaged about $23-$25 per dive.

Have fun!

Kevster has the latest trip reports on your choice of dive sites:

Puerto Galera, Anilao and Coron

Cabilao, Alona Beach and Malapascua

Donsol and Boracay

You might want to copy his itinerary :D

Haven't dived in Malapascua yet but we booked in Dano Resort and will be diving with evolution divers

and you're right, Tubbataha is a bit tricky to reach - backpacker style. unless there's like 10++ of you who can hire a boat to get you there, it really is not that feasible.

hope that helps :)

And aren't we looking it forward to it! :) By the way Iris...you can check the new website at Evolution Diving The Natural Selection now thanks...

Take a look at travelphil.com and you will come across some budget liveaboards to Tubatahha.
All the boats departed from Puerto Princessa.
Queen Anne and Moon Shadow(Dschubba) will get my vote.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom