Diving on the North side of Roatan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi - looking for some info from anyone who has stayed at Turquoise Bay in the past. Thinking of bringing a group (16-18 total) of brand new OW divers to Roatan. Turquoise Bay has a lot of what we are looking for - small resort, no cruise ship nonsense, excellent reviews for dive operation. However, I am worried about the diving this far north. Anyone have experience with this. I haven't been to Roatan in about 10 years (stayed at AKR and Fantasy Island about 15 years ago). Can't stay at AKR again b/c they don't have room for us. This group wants to see the "big" stuff - nurse sharks, turtles, rays, etc. How does the diving around TBR compare with the sites down near the West End or South? Thanks!

We did a couple morning dives east of TB because I remember riding by it. Keyhole and another site..

I didn't notice much difference in the reef. I've read there's a good likelihood of dolphins farther east at Dolphins Den,

I believe they go west also - I'm reliably sure I saw their boat near AKR once.

I don't believe there's much of a shore dive there even though there's a beach.

Personally it would be too far east for me but we liked the West End for the non-dive things.

hth

Last edited:
No shore dive, on the beach the bottom turns to muck pretty close to shore. You can take the kayaks and/or paddle boards to the mangroves.

I think Subway's bigger boats should take 16-18. The first dive is usually right in front of the resort, < 5 min boat ride (could probably be diveable of a kayak, we never asked). A standard package includes a trip to the kays as well as a night dive. We did go to the "easiest 130' out there" El Aguila wreck, that's where you should reliably find "big stuff" groupers. Turtles were also all over the place, and longish green morays. I don't recall there being too many eagle rays, sharks, etc. -- but that's a bit of a crap shoot as you well know.

We maybe went to the same site twice in a week of 3 tank dives, but that also depends on other ops: if you get to a site and there's a dive boat already parked there, the boat may turn around go to a different site. Also, they do dive on the "other side", e.g. due to weather, in which case they'll drive you over.

Good comments above, I'll amplify and expand.

TBR has good dive operation. They have one of the best naturalist DMs on the island, Osman.

There is absolutely no shore dive. Their website is reflective of the reality: this is a resort that happens to offer diving.

You asked about the differences between "Northside, up East" (as it is known) versus West and South. In short, it's deep up near TBR. Not at all hard to get to 130' for the inattentive. Oh, you said they were newly minted divers? Are you just are a trip leader or a dive pro? That might be an important distinction. It is in shadow, and because the West North is what gets smacked by storms, it is not as florid. The upside is that this has caused interesting shapes, chutes and all, another attractive feature for new divers...this is something they can see and recognize.

Weather in that zone can be predictably perfect March > September.

The diving near FIBR is much more in tune with newer divers skills. Also having an equally good dive op, but the FI resort itself has lost its compass. TBR can be spotty, but if your group has a good cohesive sense of humor, it should be tolerable.

Looking for "big stuff" on Roatan is kind of a waste of time. It is, however, a major goal for new divers because this is what they are able to see (so far). New divers will get their checklist of the obvious critters quite quickly using AKR or a West End type dive op as its in the Roatan Marine Park. South side is unsurpassed in the Caribbean for shallow micro/macro in the 55' to surface zone- extremely shallow.

What to do then about diving at TBR?

Tell your DM to show you the cool little stuff. That will keep you above 80'. If you are actually, really, doing 3 dives per day, use nitrox. Encourage your new divers to accept assistance (actively seek it) for buoyancy skills. Ask for shallow hard bottoms until they prove their abilities, then don't be afraid to split up the group for their own safety.

Last edited:
+1: I liked our TBR/SWS week for swimthroughs and interesting topography more than for the critters: there's more colourful fishes on e.g. Bonaire and bigger stuff and schools in e.g. Guanacaste CR. Brand new OW divers may not know the difference, though.

I think the issue is what do you do other than diving. Drive to town is long, the SOP at TBR is to lay around the pool and/or on the beach sipping watered-down drinks with little umbrellas in them. They do organize some evening entertainment some days. Internet connection's OK, spending an evening posting to SB is an option too.

We liked TBR a lot but I am not sure they can take a group of 18. The boat we were diving was relatively small. Maybe they can send out 2 boats, I do not know. At least, give them a call and ask.

Their dive boat, Luca, takes up to 22 passengers. While we were there, they were taking out a large group from a university marine biology program each day.

Their dive boat, Luca, takes up to 22 passengers. While we were there, they were taking out a large group from a university marine biology program each day.
The boat we were on could take about a dozen divers, but we never had more than 7-8. I suspect, this was one of the FI boats (FI was in shambles back then), maybe they got a bigger one later. There were also some students but they used another boat, even smaller (pictured)17386084001_3bbe1a9d59_o.jpg .

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom