Diving Rockport for the 1st time? Read this

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AfterDark

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Nice find A.D........Just can not trust that lobstermen will not injure you or worse....I have had close encounters here in Cape Cod bay from my Teen years diving to this day...Everything from cursing me out to dropping traps on me. A buddy had a Lobsterman try backing into him on the surface....Followed it up with the Coast guard ...his wife was a witness....Nothing...Guy still harrasses us....Brotherbear had a bad situation with a newbie....Glad the Lobsterman had a little sense...Dangerous stuff!!!

last time i was there,the dive charter captain made it a point to whack as many lobster bouys as he could on the way out and back in...
there is no love lost between the two factions!!!!
when i told the young lady at the camp store i was there diving,her reply was that her dad "used to" shoot at damned divers!!!
lobster thieves,all of them!!!!!!geeesh!!
i had a great time,didn't pis$ anyone off,and went home happy in spite of the bad vibes
i may head back this summer,work willing!!!
have fun
yaeg

last time i was there,the dive charter captain made it a point to whack as many lobster bouys as he could on the way out and back in...
there is no love lost between the two factions!!!!
when i told the young lady at the camp store i was there diving,her reply was that her dad "used to" shoot at damned divers!!!
lobster thieves,all of them!!!!!!geeesh!!
i had a great time,didn't pis$ anyone off,and went home happy in spite of the bad vibes
i may head back this summer,work willing!!!
have fun
yaeg

Thanks for the heads up (no pun intended), as I plan a shore dive there in July. Where is this site(s) that one should be concerned about lobstermen?
Divers can't be lobster thieves in NS. The pots are all locked. Plus anyone other than a commercial lobsterman taking one can have his car confiscated or worse.

These skirmishes between charter captains, lobstermen and divers needs to stop. One day some kid is going to have their arm hacked off, or worse. I agree with TM's news related to locked pots and fines. That's a perfect way to discourage poaching. Educating both sides wouldn't hurt too.

These skirmishes between charter captains, lobstermen and divers needs to stop. One day some kid is going to have their arm hacked off, or worse. I agree with TM's news related to locked pots and fines. That's a perfect way to discourage poaching. Educating both sides wouldn't hurt too.

Agree. It would be nice though if an individual here could at least have one pot of his own for supper. But that's an old arguement.

...as I plan a shore dive there in July. Where is this site(s) that one should be concerned about lobstermen?

From my very limited experience, Back Beach in Rockport and State Fort Park in Gloucester (dove there today) have virtually no boat traffic. This may not be the case at other times of the year.

From my very limited experience, Back Beach in Rockport and State Fort Park in Gloucester (dove there today) have virtually no boat traffic. This may not be the case at other times of the year.
The ole favorite "follys cove" my personal favorite was down from the Yankee clipper Inn..... stayed there with a club and they gave us access....I think it was better than Cathedral rocks!!!

The ole favorite "follys cove" my personal favorite was down from the Yankee clipper Inn..... stayed there with a club and they gave us access....I think it was better than Cathedral rocks!!!

Folly Cove is a beautiful dive and a lot easier that Cathedral rocks.

---------- Post added May 21st, 2012 at 01:12 AM ----------

I have seen pots bobby trapped with blasting caps on the doors to get divers and razor blades worked in between the turns of the rope to cut anyones hand that trys to raise it. I was rushed by a boat in Sakonnet, damn near didn't get under in time. This isn't going end anytime soon.

Folly Cove is a beautiful dive and a lot easier that Cathedral rocks.

---------- Post added May 21st, 2012 at 01:12 AM ----------

I have seen pots bobby trapped with blasting caps on the doors to get divers and razor blades worked in between the turns of the rope to cut anyones hand that trys to raise it. I was rushed by a boat in Sakonnet, damn near didn't get under in time. This isn't going end anytime soon.

Such things seem illegal--like putting a bear trap on your property to get trespassers figuring it's OK because it's on your own property. The pots aren't on the owners' property as well if that means anything. Is it true that divers are raiding the pots? You wouldn't think it would be the thing to do since just catching them in the wild is probably legal for a diver there???

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom