Diving Safely Without A BC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

One thing that was different back then than now is most divers were more athletic and somewhat geared toward higher risk taking.

As a pure speculation, they may have been swimming, snorkeling/freediving before they strapped on the tank so by the time they went scuba diving, their level of comfort in the water would have been way beyond what's expected of an OW student now. Which would affect their perception of risk.

I will never forget that two kids in my OW class failed the float test.

Describe "the float test."

SeaRat

In the case of OOA emergencies they were less safe. My guess is there were more AGE related injuries because divers bolted to the surface when their buddies hogged the reg

60'/min is considered as bolting now, in '62 it was the standard ascent rate. OOA, more usually LOA due to the unbalanced regs of the time, was one determining factor in ending a dive in the days before the SPG was common, so there not the fear associated with it now did not exist then. If you consider an emergency ascent, more prevalent in training and real life then, to be bolting, I got nothing.

The training at that time spent more time practicing buddy breathing and controlling the situation when buddy breathing with a distressed diver. In addition, more time was spent on emergency ascents as well. I also saw the same level of training in '80 when taking a NAUI/PADI OW class, when using jackets.

I don't know if it was training, luck, or who I dove with, but I never had that problem or saw it around me. I have been around a number of accidents since diving without a BC went the way of the dinosaurs.

Bob

Describe "the float test."

Thread water for 10 minutes unassisted.

As in both couldn't actually swim. A couple of swim lessons should be enough to teach them to stay afloat for 10 minutes and to stay afloat while moving forward for however long it takes them to cover 200m. And then they'd get their OW card and I'll be the first to say it is unsafe for them to dive without a BC. Or, for that matter, to get in the water without a life vest.

I dove for 10 years before real BCS came out. Prior to that the only thing was the useless navy UDT horse collar with manual inflation. You had to have water skills. Equipment was not real sophisticated, J-valves (reserve air) for when you ran out of air, dive watch for tracking bottom times, divers were hard core compared to now. My dive instructors were all active duty UDT/Navy SEALS and the training back then, would run off a lot of people today. We had to use a Black out mask and had to doff and Don your gear underwater, and recover your regulator in total darkness. They would jerk your mask off, snatched your regulator out, sneak up and turn off your cylinder, throw your gear in the deep end and then make you swim down and put it all on. Free ascent simulating out of air. Swim from one end of the pool to the other giving the out of air sign and buddy breath off one regulator. Use of the snorkle. Beach entry, rock entry, basic cave dive, open water, boat entry, basic wreck dive, a night dive, emergency deco, water recompression, the list goes on. I think one can safely dive without a BC, I did it, but it really depends on training,water skills, and endurance. It has risks. I certified with NASDS it was six weeks, two nights a week with pool day all day every Saturday, it also required a minimum of 8 open water dives and could take more if the instructors didn't think you were safe to dive. The training has definitely been watered down to appeal to a wider user group. If I had to get equivalent certifications today from say PADI, I would have a sleeve full of their little qualification badges! Lol

Thread water for 10 minutes unassisted.

As in both couldn't actually swim. A couple of swim lessons should be enough to teach them to stay afloat for 10 minutes and to stay afloat while moving forward for however long it takes them to cover 200m. And then they'd get their OW card and I'll be the first to say it is unsafe for them to dive without a BC. Or, for that matter, to get in the water without a life vest.
Thanks, I needed that clarification in order to reply in a knowledgable manner. Some people are negatively buoyant on a full breath, and I was wondering whether this was the "float test" you were describing.

The test you describe is what we used to call "drownproofing." I was surprised, but it is still being taught. If someone wants to dive, and cannot do your "float test," by either treading water, floating, or using the drownproofing technique, not only should that person always wear a life preserver around water, but also that person should not be diving! That is an accident waiting to happen. Thanks for the clarification.

SeaRat

@Shotmaster , do you still enjoy diving without a BCD?
I don't do it much anymore, I have a Scubapro Classic, and I'm not 19 anymore, I know I'm no longer bulletproof, hangovers hurt more than they use to, I used to free dive to 60 feet chasing fish and shooting fish around sharks and I don't do that either. But on occasion I still like to throw on my old 72 with just a back plate and chase some fish!

@undrwater I see you are in California, I was at the Presidio of Monterey for Language school, dove most weekends for 7 months while I was there, 7mm wetsuit, full hood, gloves, and felt like the Michelan Man, cold water sucks, I did enjoy diving in the kelp, and hunting Ling Cod. No way I would dive there without a BC, too much gear. But in warm waters, it is different story.

Thanks! I enjoy the "cold" water. I've been curious about minimalism for a little while now.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom