Diving Season in Central Texas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

parrotheaddiver:
Frank...the diving season is over for me....brrrr.....yes I am the one wearing panties:D

Well Ann I knew you were I was talking about those other , a... guys :D

Diving is year round. If you plan on diving during winter, say in Lake Travis, the temp is in the 50's. I would suggest you get a 7mm and a 5mm hooded vest. That's what I use and I can stay in the water for about 30 mins. So, buy your gear now and come dive with us :)

What we need is an excellent low price point drysuit!
Something for $500.00 like a shell suit- any thoughts?

Otherwise my favorite wetsuit was a 7mm suit with a zipper across the front and a integrated hood. I was good for 30 minutes in 52 degree water.

Chemical packs can be employed but please be careful with placement and burns.

Crazyduck:
What we need is an excellent low price point drysuit!
Something for $500.00 like a shell suit- any thoughts?

Actually there is a new product line on the market via a joint effort of Mares-Dacor/Mobys in the Dacor name.....2 drysuits that will address the basics and entry level drysuit buyer....SIS in Arlington (817)652-DIVE ,,, I understand has ordered several for stock/sale of the lt. wt. neo drysuit (and the manf. do offer a basic shell drysuit also).... cost I am not sure of but somewhere between 700-1000. as I recall for the neo.. I saw the suit and it will fill the needs of some folks in this warmer market for a basic entry level drysuit.

I am amazed at the number of people talking about drysuits this year. Now it may be because we carry 3 lines of drysuits? Not sure, but a lot of people at our shop dive year around. It is a bit more challenging but the rewards are great. I plan on getting in my drysuit for the first time this year, tomorrow. Looking forward to diving and getting out dry. What a concept. I may even look into the 30/30 suit from DUI for the warm water sometime.
I think if anyone is even looking at a drysuit remotely they should try the DUI DOg Day Rally Nov 18-19 at CSSP. For $5.00 you can get a chance to try one out and see if you want to take the next step.
My goals with drysuits are to plan a trip to the Pacific Northwest in the future and dive up there. Since my parents live in NYC I also want to dive a few more wrecks off of the New York, New Jersey coast.
Locally diving dry is such an advantage throughout the winter because those lakes get cold BUT they get clear too, and no crowds at the park. Excellent photo opportunities.

Personally, the season is already over for me. I have this silly rule about the air and water temps both needing to be above 80. I did a few cold water dives earlier this year and learned that I hate cold water diving. So my year is done. Time to go play hockey instead :).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom