diving semantics

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

iPads weren't commonly used before the first world war either, not sure I understand the correlation to the linguistics discussion :)

Reactions: RJP
iPads weren't commonly used before the first world war either, not sure I understand the correlation to the linguistics discussion :)

Ipads weren't used much before the 21st Century. Hard to believe, but there it is. Ever watch a movie made in the 90s with not a single cell phone in sight? How the hell did they know what time it was?

The connection with linguistics is vague but present if you consider that within two generations most children will be unable to tell time using an analog clock/watch face. This is about when the ability to write well will finally almost vanish , freeing people from any sense of inadequacy. Works of fiction will be historical artifacts, replaced by graphic novels.

Actually , the only connection was my mention of people with too much time on their hands. In truth, no connection at all. A pun. Free form untrammeled words, vague associations invented for no particular reason, in a series of posts that began with the intent behind sounds we make with our mouths compared to the interpretations of the auditor. Or was that another string? Is this the one about snorkels?

Ipads weren't used much before the 21st Century. Hard to believe, but there it is. Ever watch a movie made in the 90s with not a single cell phone in sight? How the hell did they know what time it was?

The connection with linguistics is vague but present if you consider that within two generations most children will be unable to tell time using an analog clock/watch face. This is about when the ability to write well will finally almost vanish , freeing people from any sense of inadequacy. Works of fiction will be historical artifacts, replaced by graphic novels.

Actually , the only connection was my mention of people with too much time on their hands. In truth, no connection at all. A pun. Free form untrammeled words, vague associations invented for no particular reason, in a series of posts that began with the intent behind sounds we make with our mouths compared to the interpretations of the auditor. Or was that another string? Is this the one about snorkels?

what kind of gas are you breathing? Can I get a couple of tanks filled? :D

what kind of gas are you breathing? Can I get a couple of tanks filled? :D

Actually, it's not a gas. Ive been under the influence of Scopolamine, Lorazepam and Clonazepam for a couple of days. three or four times each year my tinnitus gets very bad, unendurable. These drugs affect brain chemistry and make the T almost vanish. There is a price to pay, though. Clear linear thinking and short term memory are affected. Odd thought patterns emerge. The result reminds me of the effects of mescaline. I am strictly forbidden to drive but the ENT has not proscribed message boards. Probably he should have done.

I am quite serious, nimoh. I apologise if some of my posts reflected an altered state. Otoh, some of my best lectures when I was a full time member of the faculty were delivered while I was as high as a kite from the SLC trio of drugs. I could barely stand, but we had a lot of fun with Alexander Pope.

If you know anyone with Tinnitus be kind. It is a terrible thing. It is also the most frequent combat related injury among our troops returning from Iraq and Afghanistan. I have VA connections that go way,way, back, and I've participated in group therapy with some of these men. Most would rather have lost a limb than be subjected to this constant noise. It sounds very much like the propellor noises you hear from a high revving engine about to run you over. A few time I've been snorkeling and really thought there was a power boat very close to me. There was not.

Agilis, I didn't think there was anything unusual in your posts. Only a kindred angst for the loss of grammar, ability to tell time and read/write. I liked your little pun, even if it turned out to be ironic.

By the way, I have tinnitus, though it may not be as severe as yours. At this moment, the high whistling is making me a bit irritable. However, if I turn on some music or watch television, there will be some relief.

Actually, it's not a gas. Ive been under the influence of Scopolamine, Lorazepam and Clonazepam for a couple of days. three or four times each year my tinnitus gets very bad, unendurable. These drugs affect brain chemistry and make the T almost vanish. There is a price to pay, though. Clear linear thinking and short term memory are affected. Odd thought patterns emerge. The result reminds me of the effects of mescaline. I am strictly forbidden to drive but the ENT has not proscribed message boards. Probably he should have done.

I am quite serious, nimoh. I apologise if some of my posts reflected an altered state. Otoh, some of my best lectures when I was a full time member of the faculty were delivered while I was as high as a kite from the SLC trio of drugs. I could barely stand, but we had a lot of fun with Alexander Pope.

If you know anyone with Tinnitus be kind. It is a terrible thing. It is also the most frequent combat related injury among our troops returning from Iraq and Afghanistan. I have VA connections that go way,way, back, and I've participated in group therapy with some of these men. Most would rather have lost a limb than be subjected to this constant noise. It sounds very much like the propellor noises you hear from a high revving engine about to run you over. A few time I've been snorkeling and really thought there was a power boat very close to me. There was not.
I have been a lifelong sufferer of tinnitus. I cannot remember a single second of my existence when I haven't had a head full of a combination of buzzing, hissing, ringing, humming, droning, squealing noises. Maybe I should try mescaline!

As for odd thought patterns, well, that's a font of creativity I wouldn't want to stanch.

Its a widely believed fact that most great artists ranging from writers to painters to rock bands find much inspiration in various intoxicating substances.
The problem with red wine is that all of it is in the bottomn of the bottle :p

I have enjoyed reading your posts, I have found them both interesting and entertaining (which is why I clicked the like button).

Sorry you have been having a rough couple of days.

quero, my commiserations. My problems with Tinnitis began in my 20s, but did not become so bad that I wasunable to think or function at times.

I think the job you do and the place you call home does wonders in 'masking' Tinnitus. The sounds of water, boats, motors, insects ,tiny frogs at night and human activity on a high level helps to both distract you and overwhelm much of the tinnitus. I have found it to be true, and am determined to get out into the woods and waters as much as possible this spring and summer.

I would not suggest Mescaline. It's a wonderful high, but I sort of left that kind of thing behind when I passed the age of 60.

Of course, younger anti-etablishment types are always encouraging ne to 'try ths, dude" How whimpy I must sound when I let them know that I'm more cconcered with those organs and bodily systems that begin getting ready for their dirt nap long before the wholistic being that I am is ready.

"You,dude, I heard you and my father used to drop loads of this stuff".

Yeah, and he's dead.

Seriously, I'm trying all sorts of remiedies and palliatives. The three I mentioned work well. But, after they wear off, the devil is chattering again in my ear. I'll soon be trying hearing aids developed in Denmark which do not amply any sounds, but pull the octaves you can't hear well and move them over too lower frequencies in a complete octave that you are still able to hear effortlessly. The intent is to trick the brain, which is where the sounds come from.

Developed Paris last year. Check out LOFT/tinnitus on google. Good luck, quero.

A white noise machine helps me from time to time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom