diving semantics

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Both divers were to a lesser depth, but any dive that judges you based solely on your appearance is shallow ;-)

Also, feel free to add other sentences related to diving that are a little ambiguous.
A two-tank dive?

... Also, feel free to add other sentences related to diving that are a little ambiguous.

Dive Master

I would also say that both the second dives were more shallow than the first. But it's kind of like the refrigerator question. If you turn your fridge up, did you make it warmer (temp) or colder (the number on the dial)?

Last edited:
I would also say that both the second dives were more shallow than the first. But it's kind of like the refrigerator question. If you turn your fridge up, did you make it warmer (temp) or colder (the number on the dial)?

I agree, that's exactly it

If we cannot use the words shallow, shallower, and shallowest, how can we possibly have a meaningful conversation about the Kardashian sisters?

Missing but absolutely implicit in sentence one is the word deep(er). Sentence two is simply contextually incorrect. You do not refer to scuba dives as being 'higher' unless you are dealing with the very rare activity of diving in more than one body of water above sea level (and on the same day in the example given), or if you are employing a device that allows you to both submerge like a submarine and fly like an airplane. These, I suspect, can be found in comic books and similar sources.

Both more shallow. The only value is 80', a depth mark. Less than that would be more shallow. Higher than that would relate to elevation which would make it more shallow. The opposites would be more, deeper or lower.

The second dive was more than that.
The second dive was deeper than that.
The second dive was lower than that.

Now for sentence semantics: Is shallower a word?

This is the best answer and reasoning. I know, because I have both Dived and Dove into this in Depth.

Honestly it took me a moment to spin an answer off reading the original post. After some thought both were shallow, seemingly confirmed by others. At first I because we're used to dealing with numbers in the positives, higher seems "deeper" but I also had to pull back from that and realize that higher also meant, not as "low" or deep.

It's funny because I didn't expect to have to think about it when I started reading your post and accepted the challenge. I could see the confusion though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom