diving semantics

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There's also a little known feature of the English language called flat adverbs: Merriam-Webster Online

Wow, this is awesome! "Ask the Editor".... great for us grammar nerds.

This is an alternate explanation for the Apple campaign "Think Different". I guess it was a flat adverb after all. I always thought that "Think Different" meant that you should think about the state of being different, or think about difference as a desirable approach to the world (sort of like "think snow" at a ski resort). People said it should be "Think Differently", but that has an entirely different meaning - that you should change your thought processes, which wasn't what I took the ad campaign to mean.

1. My dive this morning was to 80', my second dive was less than that.

2. My dive this morning was to 80', my second dive was higher than that.

What I think most people mean when they say `higher´ or `less´ is `shallower´

I agree that it´s ambiguous though.

R..

Wow, this is awesome! "Ask the Editor".... great for us grammar nerds.

This is an alternate explanation for the Apple campaign "Think Different". I guess it was a flat adverb after all. I always thought that "Think Different" meant that you should think about the state of being different, or think about difference as a desirable approach to the world (sort of like "think snow" at a ski resort). People said it should be "Think Differently", but that has an entirely different meaning - that you should change your thought processes, which wasn't what I took the ad campaign to mean.
The interesting thing about Apple and "Think Different" is that apple users and the apple products is the most uniform lineup ever.. (And yes, I do own apple products)

'There' and 'their' are two totally different words that mean completely different things. This is not a matter of a small insignificant grammatical point. It's basic communication. Unless you spell the word 'Its', in which case you have crossed a great cultural divide and now find yourself among mental defectives, corporate executives and politicians.

In truth, it's quite alright if you are a bit fuzzy about such things, unless you are teaching English in Texas or NJ, or trying to make yourself understood, admittedly a low priority for most people, who manage to communicate by talking loudly and gesturing like deranged monkeys.

I then explained that well refered to ones being and that good refered to ones ability. She bleshed and then said she understood the difference. Then another car pulled in and she says hello how are you adn he says i am well how are you. I go see , he used the word well. Then the pivatable point arrived. the guy not knowing the previous conversation before his arrival. Says ....Whats wrong with the word well is is proper english. The girl says i didnt now that (prpoper english) Im not from england. I looked at her and say your blond arent you. she yes how did you know. I stared deep into her blond locked draped blue eyes and said lucky guess i suppose.

Some people feel it is really critical to point out errors in spelling and grammar in everyday conversation and in threads on ScubaBoard. Many people, knowing I was once and English teacher, expect me to be that way. For some reason I'm not. I wouldn't even mention it if someone made over 40 errors in a few lines of writing. I guess I just don't think it is that big of a deal.

Reactions: dfx
Some people feel it is really critical to point out errors in spelling and grammar in everyday conversation and in threads on ScubaBoard. Many people, knowing I was once and English teacher, expect me to be that way. For some reason I'm not. I wouldn't even mention it if someone made over 40 errors in a few lines of writing. I guess I just don't think it is that big of a deal.

I find it really difficult to be completely unambiguous in written language. I studied computer science AND English literature at university and spent the last 20 years in my career trying to find ways to communicate clearly. No matter what language I'm writing in, I always have the same feeling, which is that no matter what I say or how I say it, I should have said it differently, more clearly.

I guess I'm just not a talented writer so I can totally understand that other people struggle with getting their point across too. I'm not inclined at all to judge other people's writing and I'm completely content to look for the gist of what's being said. God knows, I have my fair share of lapses in spelling and grammar so I'm not about to throw the first stone!

R..

The interesting thing about Apple and "Think Different" is that apple users and the apple products is the most uniform lineup ever.. (And yes, I do own apple products)

I think the most interesting thing about the "Think Different" campaign is that its meaning is irrelevant, and its purpose is to get people talking about Apple....mission accomplished :)

It (grammar and spelling) is not a big deal, or even a moderately small deal. In 10 years on this board I don't remember ever attempting to 'correct' anyone's English useage. This string began with the contention that 'higher' might in some way mean the same thing as 'more shallow' or 'shallower'. Things devolved from that point, into something resembling a grammatical debate, with completely irrelevant and inappropriate additions by me regarding the use of drugs in connection with debilitating attacks of Tinnitus and the odd way that the military defines the killing of their own troops in error or due to institutionalized stupidity.

I apologize if I gave the impression that I was in any way critical anyone's spelling or grammar. Never in life.

I have just come back from a diving holiday with a friend of mine, whose husband had asked her "to stay below 30 metres" on all her dives. When she informed me and the DM about it, we asked if he maybe wanted to get rid of her or something. She hadn't noticed the ambiguity, although she is the native speaker, not me.

I have just come back from a diving holiday with a friend of mine, whose husband had asked her "to stay below 30 metres" on all her dives. When she informed me and the DM about it, we asked if he maybe wanted to get rid of her or something. She hadn't noticed the ambiguity, although she is the native speaker, not me.

perfect example, I have heard that used in conversation before too.

It's one of those things that everyone knows the intended meaning (possibly because all dives start above 30m, and so impossible to do an entire dive below 30m) , but it is still technically incorrect to say "stay below 30 metres" :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom