DIVING show on Nat. Geo. right now

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the heads up Skeet. I saw it yesterday, found it very interesting and informative. Those cavers really are quite crazy, in a good way though...
Sorry that that one guy died during the expedition though :-(.

Jamdiver:
Thanks for the heads up Skeet. I saw it yesterday, found it very interesting and informative. Those cavers really are quite crazy, in a good way though...
Sorry that that one guy died during the expedition though :-(.

Not to mention too much on this thread, but going that deep on air was probably not the most brillant idea in the world.

Matt

all of us who know anything about diving know that little term called "oxygen toxicity". I know the feeling of trying to break a record and doing something that no one has ever done is great, but seriously if the lead diver was as experienced as they portrayed him he would have been smart enough to use trimix. Those guys are lucky BOTH of them didnt die WAY before they hit their goal.

On the flipside I must say that the divers must be commended for having the balls to attempt such a feat. That had to be SOOOOO very depressing for the lead diver sitting at his 3m deco stop for a full hour while the rest of the crew sat above water thinking "where the hell is the other guy?".

Divers of all levels can learn some important lessons from this story. 1) if you dont have the experience, dont do the dive. 2) If you arent feeling well dont dive. 3) Never try and go outside of the limits of your equipment. 4) Macho/risk-taking attitudes kill people. Not just in diving, but all extreme sports.

Just my two cents... Glad the rescue divers could get his body so he could be buried....

gotta remember this was 10 years ago. trimix was less accepted (still considered voodoo in some circles) and much less available, and this was NZ, not the US where Helium was cheap(er). the choice probably came down to doing the dives or not. they chose to go ahead and try to push the envelope with what was available and exceeded their limits and paid the price.

while that may be true, the show made a it a big deal to point out their mistake of not using trimix ONLY because of a lack of funding for the project. Not to mention the compressor they used looked like something you would find in a barn at some farm that had been abandoned for 20 years (haha). If you are that experienced and are trying to attain something that special, I would think it would be a REASONABLE expectation that a group could find the funding for something like that.

Remember, even if it happened 10 years ago they still knew about O2 toxicity right? I am not really knowledgeable on the physiology of oxygen toxicity, but blowing the maximum depth for air like that is like jumping out of a plane without a parachute. Yea you might survive, but is it really worth the risk? Dont get me wrong, I would LOVE to participate in an activity like that, but I guess I value my health and safety a little too much to not take EVERY safety precaution.

Again, my 2 cents....

Curious to know where the cave was and who was on the expedition. Living in New Zealand, I can certainly back up the opinion that (especially ten years ago) there was not a ready supply of trimix. That being said, it would not have been impossible to get hold of.

xman,

I wish I would have saved the show (I recorded it on my DVR) but I deleted it. I am sure you can do a search for it because it is supposedly the deepest (or close) underwater cave in the southern hemisphere. All I remember was that it was in a VERY remote area. The entire crew was dropped off by helicopter for a month. The helo was their only connection to the outside world. So in other words, probably not an area you will be able to visit very easily :eyebrow:

Back
Top Bottom