diving solo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Krispy, take a float a milk jug and tie the line to the object you want to bring to the surface. You sound like your lake diving and its away's away for you, if you have family let them know when you get out, and tell them about time going in and where. Also practice monitoring your air, and leave plenty of air in tank when decicing to end a dive, and at this point, you should not think it is shallow and go finish a tank of air, always go in with a full tank. There's more that others will fill you in on.

Krispy I notice you are in the basic section, If your solo diving go and get signed in the solo section and read threads and ask ?'s there from the solo divers.

Its not that I want to go alone its that I have met only one buddy so far and he cant go all the time. I've tried to make as many buddies as I can but the urge kills me some times. I want to dive every weekend if and I can. It does'nt bother me to drive 6hr through the nite to dive in san diego. But I wont dive the ocean alone not for anything. The lakes in AZ are not bad nice easy water to dive in. If I can help it i'am not going to make it a habit. I agree that I should have more experence. I want to learn as much about this sport as I can. I read a study all the time. I'am also a big hiker and they say not to do that alone either. I head out to the moutains all the time mille from anyone. I'now the risks and am always prepared. I take this same thinking into scuba. I always plan my dive and stick to it. I set limits and practice scenarios. I know its the best Idea but I'll probly do it, but like I said I'd rather go with some one, unless I'am searching for treasure.....arrrrr!

With the anchor... I was close to shore and I just put a few extra puffs in so I could bounce it off the bottom as I swam. I hope you did'nt think i took it off, tied it to the achore and floated it up. that would be stupid.

Krispy, take a float a milk jug and tie the line to the object you want to bring to the surface. You sound like your lake diving and its away's away for you, if you have family let them know when you get out, and tell them about time going in and where. Also practice monitoring your air, and leave plenty of air in tank when decicing to end a dive, and at this point, you should not think it is shallow and go finish a tank of air, always go in with a full tank. There's more that others will fill you in on.

IAlways tell someone where i'am going and when i'll be done. I also call as some as I'am done and safe. I'am very good with my air I monitor it all the time. I want to make it a habit. I never went below 1000 psi yet.
I want to get a lift bad to get stuff from the bottom, I've seen 4 anchors so far I only went for this one cause it was close to shore.

LOL... this seems to contradict what I was saying... let me explain why....

I read it differently, Bob. I read that this is someone who cannot be persuaded to NOT dive solo.... so then the question is no longer a yes/no question... It's not a question of *IF* it should be done... it's a question of *how* someone who has already made the decision should go about it....

Assuming he can't be convinced to abstain,.. what would your advice be then...?

R..

Exactly, thank you

Milk jugs will lift your anchors till you get a lift bag also. Nah did not think you took BC off.

Exactly, thank you

Krispy,

I think you're fine diving solo when everything is going well. But I wonder what will happen when things go wrong. And they WILL go wrong - I guarantee it. With you level of experience, I'm not sure you appreciate how things can go wrong - or gauge how you will respond to the pressure.

I'd encourage you to take a solo diving course and a rescue diver course. SDI has a decent solo diver course. Get lots of experience. And DRILL DRILL DRILL.

I solo dive a lot because I like to practice skills and that's dull for buddies sometimes. Shooting SMB's, OOA drills, Valve Drills, Entanglement, Mask Replacement, running a reel, etc. When things have gone wrong for me (solo or not) - it was no big deal.

Safe diving!!!

Bjorn

Krispy, Your right, it's probably not the best idea. The lack of a buddy is surely no reason to dive solo dive.
With that said. I started diving solo from day one, even before I was certified. Now when I look back, I cringe at some of the dives I did solo. But at that young age I wasn't going to listen to anyone telling me I shouldn't. I did it because I loved it. I still do, most of my dives are still solo.
Just be careful, know your limits and respect your limits.

@krispykritter: You are taking on a great deal more risk than you realize. Take a step back. Think about why you shouldn't be diving alone at this stage.

Scuba diving is a lot of fun, and it can be done in a relatively safe manner...assuming that you approach the sport with the proper attitude. You are a beginner. Due to your inexperience, minimal training, and lack of overall knowledge about scuba equipment/skills, your ability to prevent and successfully deal with any underwater emergencies on a solo dive is greatly hindered.

At this point, you should be trying to grow your circle of dive buddies so that you don't have to be put in the position of choosing between not diving and solo diving. Join a local dive club. FYI, most local dive shops will offer an "affiliated" dive club (for the shop, it's a great way to drum up business since active divers will continue to buy scuba gear). Many areas have independent dive clubs that plan both local and destination dive trips. In my local area (San Diego, CA), Meetup.com has several listings for scuba clubs.

Once you have one or more reliable buddies...
Plan and execute 100+ successful dives with a buddy (in accord with your training), take a rescue scuba class, and then revisit the possibility of preparing yourself to solo dive. You'll be doing yourself and your loved ones a favor.

The only dives I've had with a buddy were my classes. But Like most will tell you"Dive within your limits" , also take classes, "knowledge is power"(power to know what to do in unexpected circumstances) Deep Dive, Rescue,Night/PoorVis.These are a few that will help with your survival chances, & make you a better diver.And since your gonna do it, go ahead & get on the "Solo Diver" forum.

Back
Top Bottom