Diving Technology: Then, Now and in the Future

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I wonder if that was the case with earlier cars? Yet today lots of people drive who aren't 'grease monkey's.' While the knowledge & skill to handle problems is good, it's not always present or practical.

It's kind of like learning to fly a plane in case the pilot & copilot ever both drop dead of a heart attack, and you're a passenger.

I'd like to see rebreathers get that idiot-proof. But I think that's a long way off.

Richard.

I think the car analogy is right. Mustard Dave is dead on IMO. Diving a rebreather is half the fun of having a rebreather. A rebreather as automated as you suggest would be like owning a Ferrari that didn't have a driver seat and made you ride bitch.

A lot would have to go wrong with the rebreather before I could not use it - I can deal with problems such as a solenoid stuck open or failing to operate, and only a few faults would need me to completely bail out. I would much prefer to know how to identify and handle problems than trust something because it's considered reliable.

I want both. I've never, ever thought, "you know, this regulator would be a lot more interesting if it randomly malfunctioned. It would force me to become a much better diver" Yeah, I want to know why it's breathing wet or has a free flow and how to fix it, but it better be pretty darn reliable too and it should be that way even when it's been abused or neglected. My gear should be a lot closer to a Toyota Tacoma than a diesel Oldsmobile.

Yeah, I want to know why it's breathing wet or has a free flow and how to fix it, but it better be pretty darn reliable too and it should be that way even when it's been abused or neglected. My gear should be a lot closer to a Toyota Tacoma than a diesel Oldsmobile.

I feel that way about my rEvo. Can't speak to other units, but it's pretty damn solid and when something goes awry it's easy to manage and easy to fix.

I want both. I've never, ever thought, "you know, this regulator would be a lot more interesting if it randomly malfunctioned. It would force me to become a much better diver" Yeah, I want to know why it's breathing wet or has a free flow and how to fix it, but it better be pretty darn reliable too and it should be that way even when it's been abused or neglected. My gear should be a lot closer to a Toyota Tacoma than a diesel Oldsmobile.

I want both too. The point I'm trying to make is I do not want something that stops the diver having to think. My Evo+ prompts me to do a number of checks, has redundant electronics and three ways of presenting data to me. By understanding how it works and knowing what the information on the screen means, I can check the rebreather is doing what it should.

What I don't want is a rebreather that is considered super reliable and idiot proof. The danger with idiot proof is if an idiot dives it and it fails, the idiot will not know how to handle the situation.

I never said idiot proof, just as reliable as open circuit and competitively priced compared with OC. CCR has some great advantages, the lack of bubbles will make divers much more likely to have more/ better interactions with marine life. It will also make Deco diving a lot more practical/ safe if divers are getting their gas blended precise to there needs and they do not need to drag multiple deco bottles with them. You still need to be a competent diver, same as a modern OC diver.

I hope you rebreather enthusiasts are not trying to convince yourselves that it is going to be possible to make a Jet Aircraft as safe as it is a bicycle ( free from life threatening failures during operation) .... The rebreather is the jet, Open circuit is the bike....that is not going to change in this century.
My contention is that 90% of rebreather users "could" do the dives they do on OC, and if they did, it would be safer.
And if the desire is silence underwater, it is easy and inexpensive to add a sponge type filter to your open circuit exhaust, and essentially eliminate bubble noise--the safest way to be silent :)

I would have to take it all back and think the biggest 'revolution' I saw for Diving is Dive Computers. I first tried to get certified in '92 and at the time DS's were pretty expensive and not that prevalent at the NAUI shop I trained at.

After 55 years in the sport the biggest, most revolutionary change I have seen is the computer. All the other stuff has been around for a half century in one form or another.

I hope you rebreather enthusiasts are not trying to convince yourselves that it is going to be possible to make a Jet Aircraft as safe as it is a bicycle ( free from life threatening failures during operation) .... The rebreather is the jet, Open circuit is the bike....that is not going to change in this century.
My contention is that 90% of rebreather users "could" do the dives they do on OC, and if they did, it would be safer.
And if the desire is silence underwater, it is easy and inexpensive to add a sponge type filter to your open circuit exhaust, and essentially eliminate bubble noise--the safest way to be silent :)

OC is not necessarily safer than CC. CC, with a competent diver, can be safer as the diver often has more options to sort the problem and get back on the loop. A good CC diver wil always have a OC bailout too.

Here is my 1st dive light I bought it used in 1989, It worked like a charm but it was about as bright as a candle
View attachment 156723

More like 109,000 candles. Does anyone use candle-power anymore?

Allan Light 1966-07.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom