Diving the Deep Depths

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Amadeus023

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello - I just completed my OW certification in July and I have completed 9 fresh water logged dives at depths between 20-30 ft and three ocean water unlogged dives at depths up to 50 ft. I am going on my first dive trip to Roatan in November. My dive buddy tells me that on a two tank dive that the first dive is typically a deep water guided dive at around 80 ft. According to my PADI certification I am only certified up to 60 ft. He feels as though I will have no problem going to the 80 ft. I do not have my AOW certification and was wondering if anyone else has ever been in this predicament before. Do you just sit out on the deep dive, hover at 60 ft or what?

Not having been to Roatan I can't comment on how things are there but typically most dives to that depth at tourist resorts tend to be multilevelled so you spend a minimum amount of time at that depth and work shallower. If you feel uncomfortable by all means sit out or ask to go shallower (remember if you're diving a wall or slope you can sit at pretty much any depth). If I were you I'd work my way up over the first few days rather than heading straight to 80 but don't write it off for the whole holiday either if you feel ready to do it.

Maybe you can incorporate your AOW cert into your dives while there and turn it into a learning experience. A lot of foreign operators will throw you into situations that might make you uncomfortable or that are beyond your level of experience or training. Beware. That happened to my sister in Mexico. Now she won't dive at all.

The dives in Roatan are generally on the easier side of diving. The best 2 dives there (Mary's Place and Calvin's Crack) are both at 90' or so, but neither are difficult. That said I would schedule your AOW while you are there and you will enjoy them more as you will probably be more comfortable. Either way you will really enjoy the diving in Roatan (I went in May with Cocoview.

If you have good conditions, meaning good visibility and little or no current, 80' is going to feel like 40' in less-perfect conditions, probably better. You'll be fine, just keep a closer eye on your pressure gauge since your air will get used up faster at this depth.

I went out to the Flower Gardens as a rookie, hadn't exceeded 60' in my first few dives before that. Went to 75-85 feet right off the bat with no instructor, no problem, no anxiety. Got to 98' on that trip, it was great.

The 60' limit is advisory, not mandatory unless a particular dive op says so--most don't. In bad conditions, 60' is pretty deep; in good conditions, it's not.

You'll be fine. Tell us how it was afterwards.

If your diving to date has been cold water including the Chicago area then 80 feet will as mentioned seem insignificant. Nevertheless you do need to be on top of your air supply and anything else that could cause a problem. Be a good buddy and dive right.

If you do not choose to do AOW make sure the DM knows your prior excperience and have a contingency plan, like hanging higher on the wall. A challenge you feel prepared for is OK, remember this is supposed to be fun.

As for the AOW limit that's ofern thrown out the window for a paying cutomer in a guided dive situation.

Diving is an activity where it's important, especially for your initial dives, to remain in your comfort zone. Very few people have fun when they are anxious or nervous about things, and that very anxiety can build over time to a situation where it may be easier for the newer diver to panic or react based on their increased stress levels.

The point is that no one single limit or routine practice may be right for you, personally. Just because many other newer divers routinely go on guided dives to depths below their limits does not make it right for you - IOW, you may be extremely uncomfortable or scared doing what others have no problems doing. And it's okay for you to feel this way.

So, the best advice is to make your dives comfortable and enjoyable for YOU. By all means tell the Divemaster of your concern. Then stick to your guns. Don't do what you don't want to do simply because the rest of the group is doing it. On this board you can read plenty of horror stories about new divers going on guided swim-throughs of tunnels deeper than 100' in Cozumel, where if the diver in the middle panicked, the divers in front of and behind that diver would have very few options.

Any diver has the right to thumb a dive and ascend (with your buddy) at any time. Never hesitate to end or sit out a dive if you are feeling extremely anxious or upset. There will always be another dive. But no one is having any fun when they are truly scared.

Take your vacation dives at your own pace, and make sure you enjoy each of them.

I'm sure you'll have a great time.

Doc

It's common for newbies to go to 90 ft with Roatan diving with no problems, and - it's also fine to talk with the DM about not wanting to do that deep. Have a great trip.

Did I see where your daughter wants to be your dive buddy? Get her trained and packed to go with you. :D

80' really isn't that deep. Take your time and keep a close watch on your air it will go faster there. Talk to the DM and your buddy before that first dive so they can be aware of your anxiety and not descend faster than you are ready for.

It might help if they can schedule dives no deeper than 65-70 feet for your first day,

AL

Dont forget to understand how much cover your insurance gives you. From what i understand, if your certified to do 60' and no more, your looking at $$$$$ if something goes wrong at 80'.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom