Diving then playing rugby

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CDNScubaMoose

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
On June 21st I'm planning on doing 2 dives in Lake Huron in the morning and then heading out to play rugby roughly 2 hours later. From my very basic technical training, I have been taught that excessive exercise after a deco dive is something that should be avoided. Now these two dives won't be deco dives but I do plan on using nitrox to extend my bottom time and will likely be in the upper limits of the NDL's. The dives will be in 70-80' and planning on using EAN 34 (that is what is in my tanks now). As I said, about 2 hours after the last dive I will be about to step on to the rugby pitch but a little concerned if I might be pushing things a bit. For those of you in the know - I play in the front row which (for those not in the know) somewhat resembles the nose tackle position in football and involves a considerable amount of contact. So curious what other people think - will two hours be enough time to blow off the excise nitrogen or should I talk to my coach about possibly sitting out the first half?

Thanks

I used to dive and then play rugby a lot (although not deco diving). I never had a problem with DCS, but I usually found that I was exhausted by the end of the first half, and dehydration was a real problem (although probably more so in the Caribbean than in Canada).

After two hours you should have de-gassed most of the excess nitrogen in your system according to the literature - I certainly would have thought the residual risk of "accelerating" de-gassing by doing strenuous exercise to such a degree that you are worse off than when you popped out of the water 2 hours before is unlikely.

It also slightly depends upon what position you play. If you are a back row forward and are constantly either running or pushing, you are going to work a lot harder than if you are a wing three quarter and get to sit poncing about on the sidelines for most of the match.

Just warn your team mates that you are likely to suck in the last 20 mins or so. And take it easy at the bar afterwards. Then you should be OK in my highly unprofessional opinion.

I'd say no purely based on what my instructors have taught me. I cannot say that I have any experience with exercise after diving because I usually just wash my gear and slowly pass out in front of my tv after a day of diving.

Rhone Man - I play prop so definitely no chance of ending up in the back row and my teammates are used to seeing me "playing smarter not harder" in the last 20 mins. Good catch on the hydration, hadn't thought of that but definitely something for me to take into consideration.

Thanks

Make sure to take it easy it in the down time, and if you have access to an oxygen cylinder, maybe use it for a bit to help in off gassing. Even though it won't be a deco dive, maybe take the safety stops like it would be to help as well. Using Nitrox should help the fatigue associated with nitrogen build up.

Try Divers Alert Network (DAN) and get their advice. There is also a lot of good information at their website.

Ron

All dives are deco dives. It's the long/deep ones that make you do some of it in the water.

Will you get bent from playing rugby 2 hours after a pair of modest dives... problem not. This is my non-expert estimation not fact.

There is no doubt that your body will still be off gassing and you will be shaking the soda bottle so to speak. You can count on being profoundly exhausted and wishing you had not over extended yourself.

How about making only dive #1 and using nitrox?

Pete

The charter is for 2 dives and my buddy definitely wants to do both dives. When I signed up for the charter, I had planned on missing the game but due scheduling conflicts the game looks like it is going to be a lot closer to the dive site then originally planned. So what I'm thinking is after the dive is to suck on a stage bottle (EAN 40) and then while driving to the game to position my doubles (with the EAN 34) in the back of my jeep and use the long hose so that I can use the EAN 34 on my drive to the game site. I think I'll also check with the coach to see if I can be a sub for the game so that way I don't have to go on right away.

As a fellow Rugger, I can only admire your dedication. I'd be wiped out with that kind of schedule. I think the stage bottle after #2 is a good idea, and would echo Rhone Man's hydration comment. I don't think you'll get bent from the scrum, but I agree that you might ask your coach if you could switch out to a less blinkered position for the first half. Also, have fun explaining why you need the EAN 40 bottle on the bench to the ref....:popcorn:

Luck in the match,

Will

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom