Diving this week in Cayman

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pkdiver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Does anyone have an idea what the diving will be like this week on Grand Cayman? We are going to be staying on the east end on have been planning to dive there but are not sure now since they are being hit with Hurricane Paloma.

Any thoughts?

Sorry in advance if doing this wrong!! New to scubaboard. Trying to find out information on Grand Cayman. We are going Thanksgiving weekend and don't know who to dive with or where. We are staying on 7 mile beach area! If you can help or direct me in right direction, I would be most grateful!!
Thanks, Jill

Jill -- I am going to Cayman for my 13th trip in 2 1/2 weeks. I've made a point of trying to dive with various operators over the past 9 years.

A solid dive operator is Divetech [www.divetech.com]. While they really market to tech divers, I have dived with them at all levels, from beginner to my current moderately experienced status. Goos divemasters and boats, and the opportunity to dive on the North side, conditions permitting. If you dive with nitrox, it's easily available, for an extra charge. You would have to drive to meet the boat, but if you'r staying on 7 Mile Beach, then you're talking maybe a 10 minute drive. No big deal.

I have dived with Red Baron as well. Nick and Patrick are both good guys and good divers. Small boats, so you're not going to see more than 5-6 divers on any particular dive trip. If memory serves, you get on their boat at the public beach about 2/3 of the way up 7 mile beach. They have changed their name, but their web site is still up at Red Baron Divers with Nick Buckley and Patrick Weir.

You might think about Danny with Off the Wall divers. http://www.otwdivers.com/ He's got a small but fast boats, and will take you to out of the way dive sites, conditions permitting. He picked us up at the public dock in Georgetwon, which was convenient for us, as we were staying at Sunset House.

You could try Sunset Divers at Sunset House. www.sunsethouse.com I expect they'll take you out, even though you aren't staying in the hotel. Somewhat larger crowds on the boats, and they seem to cater to the less experienced diver. It'll also be fairly inconvenient for you, if you're up on 7 Mile Beach.

If you want to drive over to East End, the diving is a little more challenging, with some current and chop, but the viz is very good, and the reputation is that the reef is in more pristine shape than on the west side [where you're staying]. Honestly, I can't tell much of a difference. It's a long drive -- probably 50-60 minutes, but Ocean Frontiers does a very good job. I've been pleased both times I've gone out with them. www.oceanfrontiers.com

If he's available, you might give Peter Milburn a shot. he's the dean of Caymanian diving, with somewhere around 3000 dives over the past 30 years. He has scaled back quite a lot in recent years, but still takes small groups out. He's forgotten more than I'll ever know about Caymanian diving. I have heard that he was the inspiration for the Robert shaw character in the movie "The Deep." He did teach Peter Benchley, the author, how to dive. Peter Milburn's Dive Cayman Ltd. - HOME PAGE

In terms of some of the larger, cattle boat operations, I've never been out with them. example: Red Sail, Soto's. I can't say anything good or bad about them, but I have been quite pleased with the operations I have dived with.

Hope this has helped! If you like diving, you're going to LOVE GC. Be sure and get out to the restaurants, too. Food's great, people are nice, diving is the best. What more could you ask for?

Doug Weinstein

couple more thoughts on these places-

Dive Tech, they will pick you up from a lot of places on SMB so you don't need to drive to the boat uinless you want to.

I would not dive with Sunset Divers if I were staying on SMB. Not all that convienient, you have to drive through SMB and Georgetown since they're on the south side of town, and IMO there are much better choices in operators. I'd only use them if I were staying there (and I wouldn't stay there.)

Is it me or have some of the dive operators in Cayman lost a bit of service?
We are just back and did some diving with Neptunes who basically had no staff and the guy who runs it just seems grumpy all day almost as though you are an intrusion into his day.
Its like you have to wait until they are ready to leave in the morning and then you feel rushed to come back in with zero real useful or friendly conversation.
I have not been there for about six years prior and may have just had a bad week with them and in fairness did not look to dive with anyone else but resorted to shore diving in the end. Still love the diving there though and for all of the diving it gets it is still in very nice condition.

Hello fellow bubble makers! I am new to the SB and I am going on a Disney Cruise with the whole fandamily (i'm the only diver and am PADI ow cert'd, logged 42 dives). One of the ports o call is Grand Cayman. Does anyone know if there is a cruise ship pier? If so, how far are the dive op's? Can you recommend some for me?
Thanks in advance!
Jeff

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom