Diving to music

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FPDocMatt

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Watching one of the Cozumel videos (the one that says that it's a bit long), I'm struck by how beautiful the diving is when there's cool music playing. You can tell by the choice of music for the video that the person who posted the video thinks that scuba diving is a near-religious experience. And that's probably right on, actually.

So this got me wondering, is there a place you can dive where there's music playing? Just kidding. But actually, I do wonder whether it's possible to dive with some sort of underwater MP3 player on. :guitarist:

Well, yes, you can, but I thought you didn't like music underwater (from your liveaboard question)? There are numerous underwater MP-3 players on the market from Nutechnology and Finis. The iDive 300 iPod case encloses your iDevice and is good to 300 feet. You can run apps and listen to music, but the phone doesn't work so good.

If you'd like someone else to play the tunes, the Looe Key Underwater Music Festival will be on July 14th this year. It will be the 29th year the festival has taken place. Speakers are lowered overboard, but then you might have to listen to someone else's version of good music which may not be to your taste. I've never been.

I like the peace and quiet of diving myself. Just me, maybe a buddy, and the occasional squeal of a new discovery.

Yup, there are numerous mp3 players I have seen on the market, my only issue would be with equalizing my ears, I would hate for some ear buds to cause a problem for me

That and I can only think of [h=1]"Ride of the Valkyries"[/h]
seems to be the only song that gets into my head when diving

Yup, there are numerous mp3 players I have seen on the market, my only issue would be with equalizing my ears, I would hate for some ear buds to cause a problem for me

That and I can only think of "Ride of the Valkyries"

seems to be the only song that gets into my head when diving

Or the theme from JAWS!! LOL

Well, yes, you can, but I thought you didn't like music underwater (from your liveaboard question)?

You're right, I was just trying to be funny. But it's nice to know there are underwater musical options. And I'm amazed that it's possible to put speakers underwater and serenade the divers! I also wanted to express the spiritual quality of diving that the music added to that video. This is an awareness one can have even without music, I imagine!

Watching one of the Cozumel videos (the one that says that it's a bit long), I'm struck by how beautiful the diving is when there's cool music playing. You can tell by the choice of music for the video that the person who posted the video thinks that scuba diving is a near-religious experience. And that's probably right on, actually.

So this got me wondering, is there a place you can dive where there's music playing? Just kidding. But actually, I do wonder whether it's possible to dive with some sort of underwater MP3 player on. :guitarist:

no, there are NOT a lot or various underwater MP3 players. i'm not sure why people just say there are without really researching before replying.

there are various underwater mp3 players....there are not hardly any underwater mp3 players for scuba diving. most superficial googleing will return back a plethora of devices that work underwater up to 3 meters which is 9 feet.....some go as far down as 12ft.....and, wow, one or two will operate near 15ft.

most practical, recreational scuba diving is done at least 30-60 feet underwater and there aren't many mp3 players that can handle the pressure at that depth.

the iDive 300 has been discontinued for a LONG time. it's plagued with parts issues and zero repair options. aside from finding an operating one you'll also have to deal with finding an ipod or iphone that is on a very old firmware because the iDevice does not work past a certain firmware.

the Finis? "Thank you for contacting me here at Finis. The SwiMP3 is not really made for scuba diving, but the depth of the SwiMP3 that it can be used at is 10 feet."

really, the only options i've found are the WaterFi
WATERFI and the DryCase........however, finding HEADPHONES/EARPHONES that will work at 30-60 feet is another mission.

a better question would be WHO ON THIS BOARD LISTENS TO MUSIC WHILE DIVING GREATER THAN 30 FEET?

and get ready for the holier than though pundits who are going to preach about safety and "how dare you listen to music underwater?" .....
:shakehead:

nevian

Mermet Springs in southern IL actually has music playing underwater. The owner Glen has underwater speakers and plays all kinds of music. At one point we were listning to Neil Diamond's Coming to America, and then next song was Skynards Freebird lol!
Being a quarry thats not to big the sound reverbs off the walls so you can hear it just about everywhere,

I was going to mention Mermet Springs but GoBlues beat me to it...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom