Diving tomorrow

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FSWorld

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
A friend and I are wanting to dive somewhere off the coast tomorrow, we are flying into SFO. I guess the options are Monterrey Bay or some place north of SFO. ANy recommendations? Also would it be safe for us to dive together without a guide/divemaster? We are both divers that dive on a monthly basis (rescue also) but have not dove cold water.

Thanks,
Zach

Wow, would have thought you'd have a few responses by now.

I'd suggest the breakwater in Monterey. There's a dive shop right there (Aquarius) & it's a nice dive.

Since it's mid-week you could might get into Lobos. If the vis is good almost any dive there is good, but to get the most out of it a guide or third buddy with local knowledge is a good idea.

Ok now i have lost my dive buddy. is anyonw able to go dive tomorrow morning north of San Francisco?i can even drive. Call me 404-519-9480.

Don't do it.

The only diving spots north of San Francisco are on the Sonoma and Mendocino coasts, aka the "North Coast."

The sites are rugged. There are zero services (save for a few spots way up on the Mendo coast, but Monterey would be closer). You're a good 1/2 hour drive from the nearest cell coverage. The ocean there is unforgiving. Some days are divable. Some aren't. Even in best of times, it's cold (44 to 52F) and low vis (3-12 ft.).

No way I would advice someone to do their first cold water diving there without an experienced, local instructor.

I dive there a lot and am active in the North Coast Divers. www.northcoastdivers.org. I love the place, but it's not for unaccompanied newbies to that environment.

MUCH better to drive down the Monterey and hire a dive guide. Any of the dive shops there can set you up right. You'll have a great time, both in and out of the water. Plus, you'll survive the experience.

Here's a link for great information for divers visiting Monterey. http://www.garlic.com/~triblet/ba_diving/newmontereydiver.html

Have a great time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I agree with fisheater, Go to monterey. I would recommend going to Breakwater and doing some shore dives. If you lost your buddy I would say try to find a guide or at least hang out at breakwater and see if you can buddy up with someone. After seeing your dive count I DEFINITELY would NOT try to dive solo. The breakwater will give you a good taste of california diving, plus there is a dive shop right in the same parking lot.

Dive safe.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom