Diving Venice from an Inflatable?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

krawdady

Contributor
Reaction score
I am curious to know, does anyone dive off of Venice Beach from an inflatable raft? If so, do you find it to be more productive if you can get a little further out than your typical shore dive? I have been diving from boats quite a bit up there but don't do much shore diving. I have an opportunity to get a small 9 foot inflatable and I'm thinking of doing it. Once you take off your gear and clip it on after the dive, is it hard to launch yourself over the side to get back in the boat? Would you attach a wreck reel to the front of the boat to to ensure you don't get seperated from the boat while you are under water?

I am curious to know, does anyone dive off of Venice Beach from an inflatable raft? If so, do you find it to be more productive if you can get a little further out than your typical shore dive? I have been diving from boats quite a bit up there but don't do much shore diving. I have an opportunity to get a small 9 foot inflatable and I'm thinking of doing it. Once you take off your gear and clip it on after the dive, is it hard to launch yourself over the side to get back in the boat? Would you attach a wreck reel to the front of the boat to to ensure you don't get seperated from the boat while you are under water?

Two words...Pop. Ssssssssss.....

Unless you're talking about something like a small Zodiac or another type of RIB. They work rather well. But I'd stay away from anything like a cheap Sevylor raft. Think about getting a kayak instead. Many of us dive off yaks and are even organizing a sort of club to get together for dives.

I would imagine getting back in is going to depend on your boat. I have a Cobra Fish/Dive Kayak. I don't have any trouble getting out of the water with mine because it is very stable & was specifically made for diving from. I have been with other people with different types of kayaks, which perform well, but they have rolled them on occasion. I have never rolled mine. ( watch now, just because I said that, I'll end up rolling mine the next time out!) We learn to tether everything to the boat just in case of a roll. I've never tried an inflatable but I have seen them advertised in Divers Direct. Some people love them. I personally like my Cobra.

I attach a reel to the yak & tow it with me that way I don't have to worry about current & I always surface to the boat. (& someone else doesn't come along & think it's abandoned & do me a favor by towing it back in!)

The one I'm looking at is a used Avon inflatable. It looks to be in good shape with no leaks or patches. I have a little evinrude motor I could stick on it. I thought about the kayaks but I figured those would be even harder to get back up on after the dive.

I thought about the kayaks but I figured those would be even harder to get back up on after the dive.

Well, I'm a 51 year old female & I've never had a problem. :D I do take my gear off in the water though. I tether it to the back of the yak & then pull it in after I'm aboard.

Inflatables are ideal for their stability. Its easy to pull, kick, and flop back in, once gear is clipped off(keep you fins on and kick to propell you up and over).

I use a 10' quite successfully.

Don't plan on taking more than two divers, even then, you'll be cramped! It'll work though.

Sorry about my earlier post on the inflatable idea. An Avon is a RIB like a Zodiac and they are great for diving from. For some reason when you said inflatable, I pictured you showing up for a dive and breaking out the foot pump for a little Sevylor 4 man raft with oarlocks. And I have seen people actually dive from them.

Not all of them are RIBs.

My Zodiac has an inflatable keel, marine plywood floorslats, and I do, infact, pump it up by foot. Its not made from some cheap material though.

The one I am looking at has the plywood floor and the rigid motor mount. I only have a little 3 HP Evinrude but I figure for getting just off the beach a bit in Venice it should work just fine. Would you have reservations about leaving an unattended boat in that situation?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom