Diving Venice from an Inflatable?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I see no more diffuculty with the yak than my Novurania inflatable which BTW is not an RIB and can accept engines to 50 horsepower and has landing gear. I can roll it up or carry it on a trailer. The inflatible is more capable of going long distances, the yak is more fun, bot h are not especially diffucult to get into.

The Novurania puchased about 1984, t is not a "raft" or an RIB, it is a high performance inflatable:

DSCF0469.jpg

My OK Scupper Pro, fast and seaworthy:

DSCF0040.jpg

Someday I will scan the hundreds of 35MM slides I have from our adventures aboard the Novurania including having a shark get in the boat with us and eat the ice chest while we got out. I then later had to "coax" him out. In any case inflatables are not toys, ours is Dupont Hypolon/nylon core and puncturing it is about like pucturing a tire--it can be done but not easily, not even by a shark.

N

Does it have a motor? If it doesn't but can take one, its easy enough. You get it inspected by the USCG and take that to the tax collector. Look up how to get a FL boat title on Google.

I have a motor for it that I would use. Just an FYI for anyone that someday finds themselves in this situation. I was told by a person at the tax collector that I would not be able register it without a title. The next day I was told by that persons supervisor that I would just need a handwritten bill of sale and a signed document by the previous owner stating that the boat had never had a motor on it so as it result, it was never registered. With that you can register the boat without a title. Of course, by the time I found this out the guy who had the inflatable had sold it. I would like to try kayak sometime but I have this 3HP motor that purrs like a kitten and I would like to get some use out of it. I suspect Venice would be a good spot for that since I don't have to go too far out and won't need a big motor. Usually I go out with Florida West Scuba but Steve is booked up so far in advance anymore that it would be nice to be a little more flexible if the winds are favorable.

Mat1001.jpg

Not hard to get into, and will get two divers(both with doubled steels) to sites in calm water. Dive with single aluminums and you can take a bit of wave action with your buddies.

Alright Venice Kayak divers, how far out do you typically go? Do you go farther than most of the shore divers and if so, do you find it to be more productive?

Actually, I don't think I have gone much farther than the shore divers, I'd say 30 ft max, but it is more productive in that I don't have to spend air getting there & back.

Actually, I don't think I have gone much farther than the shore divers, I'd say 30 ft max, but it is more productive in that I don't have to spend air getting there & back.

The first time we went out it was a little less than a mile and last time it was a little over a half mile. The farthest I've been is just under two miles, but there wasn't much out there, at least in the spot where I went down. Like Dana said, it's more efficient on air consumption, but for sheer numbers of smaller teeth, shore diving off Alhambra has been the most productive for me. Farther out you will find bigger teeth, but you really have to search for them.

I just read my post again & I thought to myself "oops" When I said 30ft, I meant a depth of 30 ft, not 30 ft from shore.

The one I am looking at has the plywood floor and the rigid motor mount. I only have a little 3 HP Evinrude but I figure for getting just off the beach a bit in Venice it should work just fine. Would you have reservations about leaving an unattended boat in that situation?

3HP might be a little underpowered, but it should work on a good day with no current. I had to abort a dive once on a zodiac with a 4HP motor because it couldn't make way against the incoming tide with 2 divers and gear. I would certainly give it a shot, but just keep a watchful eye on the wind and current.

I just read my post again & I thought to myself "oops" When I said 30ft, I meant a depth of 30 ft, not 30 ft from shore.

That's funny. When I read it I took it to mean 30 ft depth but now that you mentioned it is is pretty funny.

The first time we went out it was a little less than a mile and last time it was a little over a half mile. The farthest I've been is just under two miles, but there wasn't much out there, at least in the spot where I went down. Like Dana said, it's more efficient on air consumption, but for sheer numbers of smaller teeth, shore diving off Alhambra has been the most productive for me. Farther out you will find bigger teeth, but you really have to search for them.

I usually dive out a mile or so (from a boat) and would prefer to spend the time looking for just a few big teeth as opposed to a bunch of smaller ones but they are all fun to find. I always wondered if there was anything out farther than a mile or so. It seems like there should be but who knows, maybe there is some magic land of 7 inch teeth we are all yet to discover out there.

3HP might be a little underpowered, but it should work on a good day with no current. I had to abort a dive once on a zodiac with a 4HP motor because it couldn't make way against the incoming tide with 2 divers and gear. I would certainly give it a shot, but just keep a watchful eye on the wind and current.

Good advice. I did have some concerns about power but most of the time it will only be me. Eventually I will upgrade to something bigger but for now this motor runs well and is easy to haul around.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom