Diving Victim Of Severe Hit & Run Boat Collision

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The boating community awareness (or more accurately, concern) for divers is not necessarily the best. Things get worse with go-fast boats and jet skis, not to say the drunk boaters out there. That being said, many people do know what a flag means and can behave. One issue is flag visibility. The Florida statutes regarding dive flags say that they should be 3 feet above the surface. That actually is quite a bit higher than most buoy flags.

There is a need for greater boater awareness. Shore diving is taking off in popularity and there are lots more divers out there that in years past. Boaters might not be fully aware of this or expect to see flags hundreds of yards offshore, and so they might not be looking and a small flag only makes things worse.

Still, things are not going to improve until there is boater licensing.

This is not to excuse what happened, or to excuse the sailboat incident at the blue heron bridge a couple of months ago.

I hope Perry recovers fully, and that he keeps on diving.

No matter how much boat traffic is out there, divers surfacing have got to listen for that up Doppler engine noise of a speeding approaching boat and stay under 10'.

That right there is the ticket. If you are unable to do that, you should not be diving in the Ft Lauderdale area. If you are aloof to the boat engine noise, you are running a higher risk that you are going to get hit.

Divers need to realize that the small size flag that meets the minimum legal requirements for beach divers is worthless out in the ocean. It is too small, boaters can't see it. Boats have salt spray on the windshield, they are going into the sun, even a large flag is hard to see. Don't use hanky sized flags just because they meet the legal requirements. Get a big flag, a big float and get that flag up about 6 ft.

It won't stop the idiots but it will allow concerned boaters to see you.

I have a boat sized flag with me, an avid shore diver, and have seen prop wash- more than once. Size of flag, it seems, matters little. Until there is some severe penalties, and a large scale education of boaters of what a flag is, this will only continue.
We've spoke of it for years, divers banding together for more education. So far little has been done. I keep thinking that signs at marinas educating the public about the dive flag, and laws, is the first step.

Part of the problem is that it's a poorly written law which is difficult to enforce.

The diving lobby - I guess that's us - needs to push for a redraft of the language. I'm not sure how that would start, but I expect signatures for a ballot, finding someone to sponsor bills in the state senate and the house, and a collection of cases where divers are injured or have close calls and testimony from the LE community as to how difficult it is to currently enforce, to put before the legislative committees to support the need for a change in language might be things to start putting in place.

I guess the first step would be finding the leadership and political sponsors.

Anybody know anybody who might want to start this ball rolling?

Alan West is a congressman and diver... would that be a good start?

Boats should be required to fly a 3' x 5' dive flag. Boats with divers in the water should be required to be within 300' of their divers. Divers should have a 24" flag 36" above the water. As divers it is our responsibility to stay out of contact with boat hulls and props.

Yes Jenny....he would be a good start.

and willful operation of boat (except a dive or rescue craft) while underway in any fashion within 300' of a diver or 100' of a diver in a channel should be one of the specific misdemeanors where an arrest may be made based upon probable cause and not require an officer to personally witness the offense - likewise any diver committing a dive flag violation.

Further, any boat operator who injures a diver in any fashion faces a third degree felony charge and automatic revocation of the right to register or operate a craft within state waters for five years.

...or language to that effect.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom